APC Forum

Who says there are no shortcuts in Pyro? LOL

Uarbor

Obviously the spoon is a shortcut But the real shortcut is instead of treating the nozzle hole with water glass and letting it sit overnight to dry why not just use hotter fuel in the second half so when the hole enlarges there will be more gases? Makes up the difference in a different way. I can make this in 5 minutes and shoot it immediately. I was trying to recreate the helicopters we used to get when I was a kid. I'm pretty pleased for a first try I can't wait to scale this up and try it at night.

https://youtube.com/shorts/t9ic2-NiBQc?feature=share

Edited by Uarbor
  • Like 2

Great looking and unique helicopter. Especially with the delay/bounce Ti second fuel.

Usually helicopter tooling is made with a conical/cone shaped rammer. So that treating the fuse hole really isn't necessary. The fuse hole should intersect the conical void. At the tip, in the clay plug.

Great looking and unique helicopter. Especially with the delay/bounce Ti second fuel.

Usually helicopter tooling is made with a conical/cone shaped rammer. So that treating the fuse hole really isn't necessary. The fuse hole should intersect the conical void. At the tip, in the clay plug.

I have seen that tooling. I figured the cone tip would burst my super cheap tubes. I think I will give it a shot anyway maybe I will make a tube support, thanks

I want to see it with a fork.

I am thinking spork

Is there a twist in the handle of the spoon?

nope. I was going for maximum Simplicity it's only getting lift from the spoon Bowl itself

If your using 1/16" thick tubes, your probably right. Last time I made helicopters years ago. I was using tubes with 1/8" walls or maybe a little better. 5/8" ID. x 3-1/2 or 4" long, iirc.

From what I've read, supposedly the majority of the lift/thrust. Is generated from the angled " nozzle ". Where the " wing " is mostly for rotational stability.

Edited by Carbon796

That's awesome man, very nice! I still haven't tried any of those, I really need to. The bounce at the end was sweet!

There are shortcuts. It’s just that some of them require the attention of a medical facility or a coroner.

Cool device BTW...

Edited by Richtee

Shortcuts are when someone doesn't follow best practice, usually people get hurt.

Research is when someone challenges best practice from a position of knowledge and wisdom and with adequate provisions to avoid harm and gains some information.

Sadly best practice has usually been determined by other people's accidents

Nice one :)

I have no problem waiting for the waterglas (1h will defenitely do it) but got a conical rammer anyway.

Another project waiting to be tested...

Would you mind sharing your dimensions?

Edited by mabuse00

Nice one :)

I have no problem waiting for the waterglas (1h will defenitely do it) but got a conical rammer anyway.

Another project waiting to be tested...

Would you mind sharing your dimensions?

they are 3/4 inch inside diameter 3 inch long tubes. I just carved up a conical Ramer and I am trying it out now. One thing's for sure my fuel is too hot now

Used with what nozzle diameter?

I wish I had a number for you. It is the size that is one standard size above 1/8 in. The nozzle hole burns out to about almost a quarter inch by the end of the burn. The fuel in the second half is the hottest fuel I could make. And the titanium is not mixed in with the hot fuel it is just a thin layer between the two fuels giving the delay. Too much titanium and it will fall all the way back down in-between stages. I tried making a conical rammer and doing it properly but it would just explode in the second stage Edited by Uarbor

• 2 weeks later...