APC Forum

Priming idea

JTO

Suppose you have a primer in the form of a slurry, and you dip your stars in it. Would it not work just the same if you dipped only, say, the bottom part, or half of the star, and not the entire star? It should ignite just as well, should it not? Even matches have only the tip covered with a pyrotechnic compound, and they ignite just fine.

I did that once. The problem is that if your stars are slow burners it may take some time to engulf them properly.

And this might happen unevenly, so some finish early and some later.

If your stars burn fast, they might swim around, like gogetters, because only they start burning only at one side.

If one does not care, well, why not.

As with everything pyro, it depends on your design!

Stars will likely ignite if lit from one end, but only you can determine whether the effect is what you want. Beware that a star lit from one end may only burn from one end and may possibly burn for longer than you designed.

• 4 weeks later...

I have been making some beginner test stars with various compositions lately and I usually cut some of them in half and put the full size and half size stars in the same test launcher tube to see how much difference the star size makes. When I cut them in half I have already primed them with H3 which means that after cutting they are not primed on one facet, and they seem to work just fine :-)

I did that once. The problem is that if your stars are slow burners it may take some time to engulf them properly.

And this might happen unevenly, so some finish early and some later.

If your stars burn fast, they might swim around, like gogetters, because only they start burning only at one side.

If one does not care, well, why not.