APC Forum

Safety of FP inside of cardboard tubes for handling?

pyroxision

Let me preface this by saying, I have dabbled in pyro for years and have no interest in making ground salutes at this time (went through that at 15, not my style). I don't typically participate in communities or discussions on the hobby, but I have definitely acquired some information here lurking over the years. There are a LOT of "M-80s", "Quarter Sticks", and "Half Sticks" floating around my local area for sale this year and from what I have seen, they are all FP salutes. Some of these (a few family members of mine purchased some) appear to be housed in plastic film holders while others are in proper cardboard tubes. Many of these by my estimate contain much more FP than any person ignorant to the chemistry should be handling (10G+) and I was wondering what the safety concerns are in handling these sorts of things. Most of my projects in years passed didn't involve any large quantities of FP, so I was wondering can handling these to place them for ignition, transporting them, and just generally letting them get moved around cause detonation? Two of my immediate family members were running around with them setting them off (the larger ones sounded like that of a bomb more than a salute or cracker) and I was seriously concerned for their safety as I am not a fan of handling even a gram of FP. Could someone with more experience than I confirm my concerns or educate me on cardboard/plastic enclosed FP.

Thanks.

Edited by pyroxision

• 2 weeks later...
I would be very concerned. Amateur homemade salutes are definitely not safe. There's no way to know what the composition is or how sensitive it might be. Death or severe maiming is a very likely result from any sort of accident. It's hard to get people to listen to you but I would definitely ban them from your own property because that's the only thing you have any real control over. If you can't scare them with the danger maybe you can scare them with the fact that it's probably felony to even possess them because they are classified as a destructive device. Anyone who gets caught with them is going to get treated like a terrorist.

Don't be distracted by the container. Any single function banger is illegal in most states, it doesn't matter whether it's called a cherry bomb or a quarter stick or anything like, if it just bangs it's bad. Could lead to being introduced to several types of police, BATFE and lawyers. if there are injuries then think of prison.

rednecks love big firecrackers,every weekend we hear a dozen or so down by the river. i cant speak for how safe they are but they have been available every 4th of july since i was in highschool,very popular. We have a old man in a white van that shows up every year with grosses of m80s and 1/4 sticks by the dozen. I never saw or heard of a injury from one around here except my grandfather in the 80s. Being drunk and flash covered visco fuse doesn't mix,he lost two fingers. A mortar shell will do the same thing,all fireworks are dangerous. Your not supposed to light them and toss at each other.