APC Forum

How to make rising color tail.

SignalKanboom

There was a firework called a thunderking. It was a small tube that shot a salute with a colored tail. How could one make a good long lasting color tail like that?

So the mixture you mentioned is for white sparks? would it be better to make a color comp and make it into a slurry?

Is it polyurethane glue? When you say add color, how could that be done? Does poly and perc react together?

Edited by SignalKanboom

I would press a standard perchlorate color comp, with a profile on the flash side to allow fire into the flash before all the comp is burned, so as to provide some confinement. You need to test to make sure lift pressure does not cause the comp to fail and allow fire to the flash prematurely.
  • Like 1

That sounds very dangerous and involved. This is really out of curiosity.

Why wouldnt a normal tube closed on one end with a plug that is flush with the top. Then a plug/end disc that is up inside the tube, say a 1/4-1/2 inch, with time fuse ran through like a spollette. Prime the time fuse then cover with color comp slurry till it is flush with the bottom of the tube? Does this make sense?

Tails are stars that light at launch, so any star could be repurposed as a rising tail. even the full choice of colours. A simple colour star pressed into the end of a tube could act as both fuse and rising tail for some flash powder. Some tests for timing will be essential.

Tails are stars that light at launch, so any star could be repurposed as a rising tail. even the full choice of colours. A simple colour star pressed into the end of a tube could act as both fuse and rising tail for some flash powder. Some tests for timing will be essential.

Ok thanks

Seen neds tutorial on rubber stars, but dont remember rising tail part. Thank you!

I would press a standard perchlorate color comp, with a profile on the flash side to allow fire into the flash before all the comp is burned, so as to provide some confinement. You need to test to make sure lift pressure does not cause the comp to fail and allow fire to the flash prematurely.

You didnt mean press like a rocket would be pressed, sorry, but I misunderstood.

So the mixture you mentioned is for white sparks? would it be better to make a color comp and make it into a slurry?

Is it polyurethane glue? When you say add color, how could that be done? Does poly and perc react together?

YEp.. “Gorilla Glue”. Yes, white is the color, but can easily be colored. I’d imagine the color components of the Veline system would work. I made just the white and red- using a few percent strontium nitrate. The glue mix only reacts when you light it.

• Like 1

The effect you're describing is a simple comet to report. You could either press your color comp of choice into a tube (like you would for a rocket) and use the remaining space for flash, or press a comet with an OD that matches the ID of your tube and glue it in place. The color comp itself can serve as the fuse or you could use time fuse for the report. Alternatively you could just glue a color star onto a salute just as you would add a rising tail to any other shell.

img097.jpg