APC Forum

Deadpressing Flash Powder?

tenneyguy

Greetings! Started here a few years ago, then dropped it for some reason. Since then health issues have gotten me interested again.

So, currently, a few things trouble me. Perchlorate, Al, S combination used in small report devices has surprised me by this fact: Tightly compressed, it will not ignite! Sort of like deadpressed fulminate. In fact, large internal volume seems to work infallibly, even if fuse end is hanging in space.

Any ideas or experience along these lines?

In fact it will make a pretty silver fountain. That said, there are safer formulas and ways to make a pretty silver fountain.

Fun fact: Some silver fountains are made with KClO4 and Al, and kids find out that if they stomp on them a few times, they turn into big salutes!

• Like 1

Another fun fact: in large amounts and in certain conditions, the mild waterfalls could also explode in the most impressive way.
In large amounts they become a huge pile of flash.

Compressing some perchlorates like KClO4 Al S are a realy bad idea! KClO4 Al S if you compress it in a paper tube like a fountan easy can make a extreme explosion! For a while act like a fountain, then come a extreme explosion. If the nozzle is well narrowed, an extreme powerful explosion is guaranteed. KClO4 Al in a fountain are a bad idea. Compressed Nitrates like Ba(NO3)2, Sr(NO3), KNO3 with Al, or BP with Ti it cannot cause such an extreme explosion like KClO4. It doesn't matter if the mixture is slower and highly compressed. A small portion of the flash powder here acts like a blasting cap, and booster. The other flash will work like high-explosives if you use KClO4, the same non pyro setup what used highly compressed high density explosives.

Edited by mx5kevin
  • Like 1

Compressing some perchlorates like KClO4 Al S are a realy bad idea! KClO4 Al S if you compress it in a paper tube like a fountan easy can make a extreme explosion! For a while act like a fountain, then come a extreme explosion. If the nozzle is well narrowed, an extreme powerful explosion is guaranteed. KClO4 Al in a fountain are a bad idea. Compressed Nitrates like Ba(NO3)2, Sr(NO3), KNO3 with Al, or BP with Ti it cannot cause such an extreme explosion like KClO4. It doesn't matter if the mixture is slower and highly compressed. A small portion of the flash powder here acts like a blasting cap, and booster. The other flash will work like high-explosives if you use KClO4, the same non pyro setup what used highly compressed high density explosives.

Noting reference to high explosives, I try to keep in mind that "explosion" by high explosive is a different reaction than chemical compounds reacting together chemically. H.E. "dissociates" by explosion, whereas compounds combine and separate by chemical process.