APC Forum

Chemical storage question

Uarbor

I tried searching for this honestly. I'm wanting to know if everyone stores there oxidizers and their fuels in totally separate bins are cabinets? Right now I have everything in a storage bin with damprid in it. Everything is double bagged. But I'm starting to make a bigger collection of chemicals and I feel like I should be storing the oxidizers and fuel separate. I was just wondering what everyone else does

I keep my oxidizers and fuel in separate enclosed cabinets. I have the space so I figured I would use it.

I tried searching for this honestly. I'm wanting to know if everyone stores there oxidizers and their fuels in totally separate bins are cabinets? Right now I have everything in a storage bin with damprid in it. Everything is double bagged. But I'm starting to make a bigger collection of chemicals and I feel like I should be storing the oxidizers and fuel separate. I was just wondering what everyone else does

I am Storing my oxidizer and fuel in seperate bin and storing my metal powder in airtight packaging and in another cardboard box. All kept seperately to avoid any contamination. It is good idea to store the both seperately.

You also try to have few box which can hold small quantity of chems for regular use, instead of going and taking small quantity from reserve.

Like others here, oxidizers segregated from fuels. Keep ammonium perchlorate away from potassium chlorate, too. Charcoals have their own totes. Colorants and reasonably inert oxidizers like carbonates and sulfates together in other totes. Binders/binder-fuels in another. Liquid flammables segregated from solids. Acids segregated from anything they could react with, liquid or solid. Permanganate nowhere near solid or liquid fuels. Chlorates nowhere near sulfur and relatives. NC wet and frozen. Separate totes for MgAl, Al, Mg, Ti not so much because of reactivity but many different varieties, especially MgAl and Al. Most are double bagged. Same with perc and KNO3--always a fair bit on hand so they store alone.

I use large sterlite snap-lid tote boxes to hold bags of related chems. Unsure of sizes--a few different sizes, but generally can hold 20 lbs or so of dense chems. Working chems in quart or half-gallon polypropylene screw-top jars. Potassium and strontium nitrate, and charcoal, all oven-dried after milling (if desired) religiously get desiccant packets and kept airtight.

Any comps and primes are stored in containers inside doubled up cardboard boxes, usually with with some desiccant tossed in if not red gum-, parlon, PVC, or NC-bound products. Keep it in a magazine or at least a very safe and very protected place. Bulk fuse, too.

Chems aren't going to jump from one container to another during normal handling, but some of the stuff we use is flammable and sometimes we use large quantities. If your shop took fire somehow, you might not want quantities of various flammable fuels and metals sitting atop 20+ pounds of oxidizer. If something fell or tipped over, somehow, you wouldn't want to risk spilling and combining a bunch of chems.