22 replies to this topic

#21 SharkWhisperer

SharkWhisperer

Pyrotechnician

• Donator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 707 posts

Posted 11 June 2021 - 03:02 AM

...It can also be used successfully in metal fueled streamers. But, if your skill set only allows firepit usage. No one here will be surprised.

Your opinion and insights were welcome, up until this point. Which is why you and I historically have not gotten along well. And so it shall continue.

It's interesting how your brain seems limited to thinking in small compartmentalized spurts, evidenced by your consistently mutant grammar selection and abundant overuse of commas. Alzheimers-like. Perhaps your moniker is short for "carbonized" per your though trains, or "Carboniferous", your childhood era ya old musty fart. But I'm sure your ex wife had more to say on the topic before she bailed.

#22 Uarbor

Uarbor

Pyromaniac

• PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 11 June 2021 - 08:37 AM

Is Transmet the source? No idea. It's K101 and K102 from Chris at FWC. If Transmet's the source then that's the source. And it's not a "powder", it's clear macroscopic flakes. Uncoated Al will stay shiny bright? In what world?  Perhaps one without an oxygen-containing atmosphere. Not earth. Any "bright"/shiny Al is coated with something. Whether it's the coating or not, the K stuff, in my hands  is a pia to homogenize into some charcoal star comps. Not surprising that a waxy/stearic acid coating slightly complicates star comp binding, but seems quantity-dependent, which is expected. Still, doesn't dazzle me with its utility.

And yup, it's a really big flake. You're right that stearic acid on such a huge flake is probably not a flame-starting inhibitor because you need a sustained fire to get that huge Al particle lit up. But if it were the coating on smaller flake bright Al, I'd consider it an ignition inhibitor for sure.

I'm hoping the 812 I bought on Mumbles' recommendation is better suited to my needs; I expect so. Then perhaps I'll try to find an ideal use for my K flakes. Likely firepit fodder. Til then, they are backburnered in semi-retirement. Probably a reason it's only $8/pound.

the aluminum I have is from pyrochemsource and it just simply says aluminum flake 18 mesh. It is very shiny. It wasn't actually advertised as Firefly. Do you think it would work in Firefly Stars?

Edited by Uarbor, 11 June 2021 - 08:38 AM.

#23 SharkWhisperer

SharkWhisperer

Pyrotechnician

• Donator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 707 posts

Posted 11 June 2021 - 08:49 AM

the aluminum I have is from pyrochemsource and it just simply says aluminum flake 18 mesh. It is very shiny. It wasn't actually advertised as Firefly. Do you think it would work in Firefly Stars?

From the pic, it looks almost exactly like K102 flake. The dimensions are identical (18 mesh = 1000 microns = 1 mm). No idea how the flake thicknesses compare. Might work just fine. No harm in making a half-pound of comp and shooting some stars from a gun or in a test shell to see if you get the effect that you're looking for.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users