APC Forum

unknown star formula

24pyro97

i believe i came across this star formula a couple years ago and i wrote it down. ( a YouTube video i believe it was) I'm looking to test this composition and I'm wondering if there are any other similar comps that have been tested and are known to work well. i have looked around and haven't found anything similar

its labelled as silver willow?

Kclo4- 52

Mg/AL- 24

.1mm spheroidal aluminum - 10

sulfur-3

charcoal-5

dextrin-6

no mesh sizes were given except the aluminum

That formula is reminiscent of a metallic fueled streamer. Or, a improperly named flitter star. With a minor amount of substituted non-metallic fuel.

For the .10 spherical Al. Sub american dark or IBA, or -200 mesh mg/al or finer. The finer either one of these are the easier ignition will be.

For the .24 Mg/Al, use either Mg/Al or aluminum. Something in the -8 to +80 range. ( finer metals will work here, but you may have to adjust the oxygen balance some ) Like -8+30 Mg/Al or -30+80 spherical AL, or medium to coarse Al flake/flitters will also work.

Edited by Carbon796
  • Like 2

That formula is reminiscent of a metallic fueled streamer. Or, a improperly named flitter star. With a minor amount of substituted non-metallic fuel.

For the .10 spherical Al. Sub american dark or IBA, or -200 mesh mg/al or finer. The finer either one of these are the easier ignition will be.

For the .24 Mg/Al, use either Mg/Al or aluminum. Something in the -8 to +80 range. ( finer metals will work here, but you may have to adjust the oxygen balance some ) Like -8+30 Mg/Al or -30+80 spherical AL, or medium to coarse Al flake/flitters will also work.

F me. Wow. Some of you guys amaze me. :o

I ended up subbing in FeTi for the magnalium 12g of -30+60 mesh and 12g of 60+325 . And used 200 mesh magnalium in sub for the aluminum. I liked the open burning look of it alot and ill post up a video.