APC Forum

I ruined my brass spindle OMG

fr3dopyrox

Hello people,

the splindle is bent at the top i dont understand i have never seen this ,can it come from my chinese cheap 6lb hydraulic press?

I presséd composition to 7800 psi, it is bp with 2% moisture,

Thanks guys...

post-21544-0-25565800-1618409517_thumb.jpeg

post-21544-0-72447800-1618409532_thumb.jpeg

Edited by fr3dopyrox
  • Like 1

How long was the core of your drift? If you placed your drift over the tooling with no powder loaded would it rest on the spindle or the base? It could be that you loaded insufficient powder to prevent your drift from bottoming out.

Sorry dude.

To me, that looks like the last, non-holed rammer was used a little to early and had unpleasant contact.

That's how I recently ruined a spindle, and it looks exactly as yours.

Lack of concentration. Can be dangerous... or costly. Or both.

Thanks you , is i must to buy only a new spindle ? Or à full 1 lb bp set with the new rammers ? Thanks ... Edited by fr3dopyrox

Another thing to watch for is composition compacted in the cored drifts. If a plug of composition gets lodged in there, it can lower the clearance and cause contact with the spindle resulting in what you're seeing. Best case scenario it causes spindle damage like you're seeing. Worst case scenario, particularly with more energetic fuels, the pinching can cause ignition.

I agree with what's been said in terms of cause. As for the spindle, the end looks pretty rough, so I doubt you'd be able to get it straightened. You could try, though I'd probably just cut off the damaged section and use the shorter spindle, assuming the rammers are not damaged. The short spindle could work for some whistle fuels and maybe strobes, or something like a cohete.

• Like 1

The availability of a rammer alone does depend on the maker and supplier of the tooling. Some makers will supply a part of tooling some will not.. Be very sure that there is no comp pressed into the bore of the rammer measure it clean it and remeasure it.

Hello guys ,

I have 2 sets of bp tooling the same company, i mésured the inside of the 2 rammers : thé #3 rammers and they havent thé same lenght inside the rammer who ruined my spindle !! Si it it is like you Saïd the third rammers , thanks guys

Edited by fr3dopyrox

• 1 month later...

Hello people,

the splindle is bent at the top i dont understand i have never seen this ,can it come from my chinese cheap 6lb hydraulic press?

I presséd composition to 7800 psi, it is bp with 2% moisture,

Thanks guys...

Will someone please explain, I am ignorant, what is going on here? Material is being compressed to 7800 psi? What material, and for what purpose? Fulminate formerly used in production detonation caps was compressed to 2000 to 3000 psi. Much higher "deadpressed" it,making it inert.

• 3 months later...

As a tool maker, I've resorted to drilling the last rammer with a hole in it, all the way through the entire length of the rammer. This greatly helps to prevent composition from packing in the rammer.

The main technique to remember in using such a rammer is to put your thumb over the hole while inserting the rammer into the tube so you don't "pump" powdered composition out, all over the place. Once the rammer is seated on the loose composition, move your thumb out of the way and proceed as usual. Typically, no composition will pack in the rammer at all.

Either find a tool maker/seller willing to modify the last rammer as I described or locate a long drill bit of the same size as the hole and drill it out yourself, using plenty of light oil and drilling in small increments to keep the turnings clear of the hole as you go. Don't forget to chamfer the top hole on the rammer to remove any sharp edges.

WSM B)

Edit: The reason the powder packs in the last "holed" rammer is simple. The loose powder starts above the spindle, especially when filling the last increments before the solid rammer needs to be used. When the last holed rammer is rammed the loose powder gets tightly packed in the hole as the powder around the spindle tip is compacted. It is vital to remove that powder packed into the hole of the shortest holed rammer to prevent damage to the spindle (even if it's made from stainless steel or other hard materials).

The beauty of having the shortest holed rammer have the hole drilled completely through the entire length of the rammer is that the loose powder never gets packed tight into the rammer hole but falls out easily after ramming the rest tight into the rocket casing.

I have used this technique successfully for years.

Edited by WSM