APC Forum

Extra small ball mill

Powderman

I am playing with BP-like compositions trying different charcoals, ratios, processes and additives... The path is the goal, I like experimenting and observing results. It gives me insight and understanding, and I have some fun along the way.

At the moment I am able to use star gun with my BP to test first stars, only charcoal based for now because I have only KNO3, Sr(NO3)2, Ba(NO3)2 and some Al and Mg but no chlorine donor...

• Like 1

Wherever you are in the world there will be a supplier of PVC as granules for the injection moulding industry. Find one and ask for a sample (which may be a 25kilo bag!).

but no chlorine donor...

Hate to sound like an ignoramus, but do pool chemicals offer a usable chlorine source? I know they are usually dreadful for purity but they do the job in my pool.

They do not. Pool chlorine comes in two general forms. Calcium hypochlorite and trichloro-isocyanuric acid (TCCA). Calcium hypochlorite is quite impure as it is, and contains calcium which would kill all your colors unless you really like orange. On top of that, it's fairly reactive and would not give stable or safe compositions. TCCA is also not a great choice. It tends to release chlorine or HCl over time which is not ideal for stability.

The only oxidiser that I know produces chlorine is potassium chlorate which works as oxidiser and chlorine donor but has a handful of problems.

• 4 weeks later...

That could work, but one may run into an issue of efficiency. An insert inside a larger drum will inherently spin at the same RPM as the larger drum. Smaller drums require higher RPM for optimal tumbling. For instance, the common harbor freight or Lortone 3lb tumblers (~4" diameter), have an optimal RPM around 90. The larger common 6" plastic pipe mill has an optimal RPM around 60. Those values vary based on specifics and media diameter somewhat, but are mostly just a way to illustrate what I'm trying to say. That's not saying it wont work, but might be fairly slow.

Interesting idea with the insert, what if the insert rolls inside the bigger drum, then its rpm will be higher proportionally to the diameter and it could work... But it would not work if the big jar has lift bars, so it has to be made for this purpose.

• 3 weeks later...

I'd just use a mortar and pestle. Not as fine as a ball mill, but it does the job.

• Like 1