APC Forum

Another little fountain

pycharm

Enjoy. I'm still trying to figure out how to eliminate the smoke from hindering the viewing.

What's your final comp mixture? Tube size? Length, ID, wall thickness? Nozzle material/diameter/thickness? Nozzle erosion? Still getting tube burn through? How packing? Ti is sponge or spherical? Size? MgAl size? Guessing kinda small because I didn't really hear any of the usual crackling you get with larger particles. It might be giving more of a flare effect that hinders seeing individual Ti pieces burning. All white and no orange in this device--what'd you change from the other night? Fe dust might not be necessary or wanted.

Burning pretty hot with a lot of metals--almost too bright to see individual particles. If you're not near a cato, might benefit from some careful tamping of comp, and cooling the mixture down a little. If comp is safe to tamp with metals, perhaps with wood tooling. Maybe restricting the nozzle diameter to compensate for decrease in-tube burn pressure reduction if burn rate slowed. Difficult to see what each metal is contributing unless you drop all 3 (or 2) and add them back one at a time. Hard to believe you'd want or need all 3. Why build this on a BP base (though many fountains are) where you'll have competition with orange charcoal sparks (and expected smoke)?

Can't constructively critique without a clear understanding of precise ratios of components in formulations, and their types and sizes...

And what kind of ematches are you firing with 18-24V? Have you metered how many amps you're able to get out of your power sources and down you shooter wire? Ematch resistance?

Edited by SharkWhisperer

What's your final comp mixture? Tube size? Length, ID, wall thickness? Nozzle material/diameter/thickness? Nozzle erosion? Still getting tube burn through? How packing? Ti is sponge or spherical? Size? MgAl size? Guessing kinda small because I didn't really hear any of the usual crackling you get with larger particles. It might be giving more of a flare effect that hinders seeing individual Ti pieces burning. All white and no orange in this device--what'd you change from the other night? Fe dust might not be necessary or wanted.

Burning pretty hot with a lot of metals--almost too bright to see individual particles. If you're not near a cato, might benefit from some careful tamping of comp, and cooling the mixture down a little. If comp is safe to tamp with metals, perhaps with wood tooling. Maybe restricting the nozzle diameter to compensate for decrease in-tube burn pressure reduction if burn rate slowed. Difficult to see what each metal is contributing unless you drop all 3 (or 2) and add them back one at a time. Hard to believe you'd want or need all 3. Why build this on a BP base (though many fountains are) where you'll have competition with orange charcoal sparks (and expected smoke)?

Can't constructively critique without a clear understanding of precise ratios of components in formulations, and their types and sizes...

And what kind of ematches are you firing with 18-24V? Have you metered how many amps you're able to get out of your power sources and down you shooter wire? Ematch resistance?

This particular comp was al powder and mostly kp, with some Ti sponge. No coolant or Fe dust was used. It's a 4" 1/8 wall parallel wound tube and for this particular one, no nozzle was used. The powder was LIGHTLY packed with a dowel but otherwise it was just the comp burning. I believe ID is 1"

This was fired with a fuse, it's actually an older video of the one previously posted. The ematch I use fires off 18v if bridged or 24v using non bridged with lampblack

I can make BP fountains, but I haven't been fooling with them much, as I'd like to get a ball mill first. Right now, using standard formulae, it burns extremely slow, so I use kp instead.

Edited by pycharm

I'm just honestly mixing stuff to get different effects, as I don't have all the chems required for fountains - yet. Is it too much kp causing the excessive smoke?