APC Forum

Is it best to use red gum for granulating?

Paramax55

I mill large batches of charcoal for storage. Before use, I'll dry out a pound or two of dust in the oven to bone-dry, and then store in airtight containers with desiccant packets (I use color-indicating silica bead packets). Consistent results from batch-to-batch, and using reheated/dehydrated charcoal months later. Don't find a "need" to store charcoal as chunks and then powder it right before use, though can't see that being a problem (if redried after powdering--charcoal chunks absorb atmospheric water nicely, too, even without the surface area of a powder). And I don't see the need to use charcoal as soon as possible. It doesn't really degrade and any change in VOC content would be expected to be minimal compared to the heat blasting it received during manufacture. If charcoal were unstable, then BP made from it would not be expected to remain stable and burn predictably for many years.

what I mentioned I read in a book written by an explosives engineer in the period when gunpowder was still in use, clearly in your case it is the attention you devote to Preparation and storage of ingredients that make the difference, but you are talking about batches of a few tens of kilos, the aforementioned engineer speaks of tons, with coal stored in jute bags.He recommended using it one day after cooking because it is richer in organic components that make the powder more performing. Nobody criticizes anyone's experience I do that and I find myself well And I've noticed a loss of performance over time, it's not huge but it's visible. I never grind freshly made charcoal, i like to use a hand mill To break it into pieces of a few millimeters before ballmilling All the ingredients together. Commercial powders derive their homogeneity from corning, and from the pressing that precedes it, once you reach the right pressure all the powders burn at the same speed, which is why This method is used.
  • Like 1

Remember that Maltese shell inserts are timed with red gum slugged BP -more BP the slower it burns.

I believe they use gum arabic, not red gum. The addition of any binder will slow BP, the question is how much it slows the powder and how relevant that is for the intended purpose. I think people tend to get too caught up in making the hottest possible powder. I make most of my powder using 1.5% SGRS as binder. Is it slower than the same powder with no binder? Yes. Does it require appreciably more powder to lift a shell? No. Are the grain durable? Yes. Done deal.

• Like 1

I've made a few batches now. I'm using pine rabbit bedding from Walmart. I've tried cooking it in a retort with a propane burner and I've done the TLUD method. TLUD is a lot faster, cheaper, and makes MUCH better charcoal. I did the 8" burn test with some granulated TLUD and I don't have any hair left on my hand. It was fun. I've only used 70/30 for granulating and it worked fine. I made my first dies yesterday and pressed 100g of greenmeal into pucks. They sound like ceramic. My grinder should come today and God only knows where my screens are.

Thanks for the help!

I've made a few batches now. I'm using pine rabbit bedding from Walmart. I've tried cooking it in a retort with a propane burner and I've done the TLUD method. TLUD is a lot faster, cheaper, and makes MUCH better charcoal. I did the 8" burn test with some granulated TLUD and I don't have any hair left on my hand. It was fun. I've only used 70/30 for granulating and it worked fine. I made my first dies yesterday and pressed 100g of greenmeal into pucks. They sound like ceramic. My grinder should come today and God only knows where my screens are.

Thanks for the help!

Possibly just unblocked the Suez Canal :D BP is a BLAST! It took me a few months to get it right and pretty consistant. Then I got raided. :(

Raided? Can't you get BP stuff delivered to your mailbox? I thought BP was one of those things the gubment didn't care about? I'm reading a thread on the cast bullets site that's been active for 10 years. I'm 5 years into it and nobody has mentioned any trouble.

Raided? Can't you get BP stuff delivered to your mailbox? I thought BP was one of those things the gubment didn't care about? I'm reading a thread on the cast bullets site that's been active for 10 years. I'm 5 years into it and nobody has mentioned any trouble.

No... it was a random thing. HEre..this will get ya in the ballpark.. https://www.amateurpyro.com/forums/topic/888-occasional-depression-thread/page-37?do=findComment&comment=46990

On edit: I can ALMOST laugh, but I was shitting my pants...

Edited by Richtee