APC Forum

Powering a wiper motor (for ball mill) through an ATX power supply

Pirotecnia

I want to share with you how you can power on a wiper motor with a PC ATX power supply.

Basically, this is what I'm using to power my small ball mill and it works perfectly for my needs.

All you need is a 12 powered car wiper motor, an ATX power supply and 2 wires, below are the steps:

1 - Identify the low speed connection of your motor (usually labelled with the number "53")

2 - Get 2 wires: 1 from any yellow (+12v) power supply wire and another from any black (ground) power supply wire

3 - Just connect the yellow to the motors low speed and the black to the motors metal body (any not painted part)

You can also see a simple video I posted on YouTube about that: https://youtu.be/dDjhqq-70g4

The next step is to power it remotely (using an Arduino board and a Bluetooth or Wi-fi shield) but I need to get the parts.

Hope to help someone that wants to use a wiper motor powered ball mill.

Thanks!

Personally..I’d buy a HF jobbie. Cheaper.

• 2 weeks later...

ATX power supplies can be very cheap if obtained from a source like American Science and Surplus, or from a old pc laying around. One thing you didn't mention Pirotechnia, is how to turn one of those power supplies on. Locate the single green wire and connect it to any of the black wires and it will turn on

Edited by MadMat