APC Forum

Newbie advice, APC department

DrJones

True confession. I am a newbie here, with a history of 24 hours. Right away I searched the forums, read several post topics, and posted several questions of my own about germane matters. Then I introduced myself to the forum Grandmaster and Moderator, Chris--a true gentleman and experienced fireworker.

As Chris and I were privately conversing, my "silly questions" on various threads were getting responses. Sadly, those responses were absolutely irrelevant to the queries--in every case. None of the first three answers to any question gave even a clue to the answer sought (which, happily, sometimes did come later). I sensed and detected more than a few egos were alert and motivated to provide what they regarded as sensible, wise responses to my inquiries here. Those replies went along the lines of:

"Sparklers aren't real or serious pyrotechnics," "Pyrodex is useless in fireworks," "Asking about Sb2S3 shows me you're up to no good and making flash," "If you are 81-years-old and have worked with propellants and pyrotechics and explosives for decades, you would not ask such questions: I don't believe you are who you say you are," et cetera ad nauseum.

I just wanna say that I advise newbies here to put on your hazmat suit and goggles, insert ear protection, and beware before reading the answers you may get. Apparently "oldies" here have a thing about "flaming" newbies--I suppose that's in the spirit of the Green Man.

I would NOT expect a straight answer to any serious question on this forum right away. You may get some wisdom from a seasoned fireworker, eventually--they do read some of this drivel. Color me dampened and difficult to reignite.

Your mileage may vary.

Edward Jones
New Mexico

If you ask silly questions, do you really expect to get good information ?

No one said, sparklers are not real fireworks. Though they probably fall more on the novelty side of it. Hobbyist built sparklers, are almost a tradition at some afterglows.

Pyrodex has proven to be a poor substitute for BP. In fireworks use, on a multitude of occasions. There is not one reputable published resource, that advocates its use.

You specifically asked about sulfur and antimony trisulfide, in regards to flash powder. No one assumed that.

If you want straight answers, you have to ask straight questions. Some of us here will answer those questions. With what is the most traditional, correct, relevant and safest information. Just because you disagree with or don't like that information. Doesn't mean your being flamed.

Most newer hobbyist, initially don't always pick up on the fact. That there is a traditional/correct/ way to build some fireworks devices. Information that has been passed down through generations of pyrotechnicians. Specific comps, materials, techniques, tooling, and sequences. That provides a solid working foundation from which to grow from. There was a time once, when the majority of items were not imported from china.

Edited by Carbon796
  • Like 2

The tone has gotten rough here, thats true. Some people here like to bite, and some are outright agressive.

Apparently "oldies" here have a thing about "flaming" newbies--I suppose that's in the spirit of the Green Man.

Not true. I got a lot of useful help here.

A lot of your questions could have been answered by using the search function. Also often there are existing treads than can be used again. In many forums there are some people who open a lot of new topics concerning a lot of very different things, often giving the reader the impression that the person has a lot of idling time, posting out of boredom (I'm not saying you do that).

(Though I must admit that sometimes I like to do that myself, when being unsure about something)

And when you use the search function, you will find that a some point it gets difficult to get the right information because a large percentage has no great value to help you. Some things are discussed over and over again. That is what you are doing, at least for some part.

A lot of your topics would be much better placed into "Random discussion" and "Newbie Questions".

Your are not the only user, there are some others as well. Ideally this forum should be moderated much stricter to nip this in the bud.

If you want straight answers, you have to ask straight questions

Thats it.

• Like 2

The tone has gotten rough here, thats true. Some people here like to bite, and some are outright agressive.

I've noticed that most of the biting seems to be when people ask questions that a 3 second google would definitively answer, or, worse, come in sounding like a boom-boom kiddie who just wants to make salutes (and give the hobby a bad name.)

I've seen people who clearly speak English as a second language get incredible responses and encouragement, despite having a lot of difficulty phrasing their questions. I think a large part of it really goes back to (justified) paranoia about the boom-boom kids. Every time some dumbass blows his hand off, it's fuel for the safety Gestapo to demand more and more restrictions on what we can buy.

Pyro is a hobby that demands patient research, or blood.

Your choice.

• Like 3