APC Forum

Chlorine itself as donor?

pycharm

I am looking at making some fountains, and noticed a lot of mixes called for parlon and pvc, and short of buying pvc glue/ordering and paying outrageous shipping costs, what's the issue with using chlorine itself as a chlorine donor? I'm sure the gases wouldn't be pleasant, but would it work in theory?

How you could bond a toxic gas inside a color composition, without using a substance Who emit It when burn?

I was just wondering if those chlorine tablets from Walmart would suffice in chlorination the reaction. My chemistry of reactions does not reach this point. Just curious if there's a reason it isn't sometimes used.

Solid chlorine tablets are not actual chlorine. They release it into water for pool water treatment. They're typically either calcium hypochlorite or TCCA (trichloro-isocyanuric acid). Neither would be very good for pyro, and might cause some serious compatibility problems.

To add to what Mumbles said, those tablets are also strong oxidizers. They would screw up the oxidizer/fuel ratio of the composition, but at the same time they wouldn't act like a good pyro oxidizer. Also the calcium in the hypochlorite tablets would "dirty up" the color of the stars by adding orange. There are MANY oxidizing chemicals but only a few that are suitable for pyro work

The simple fact you didn't know chlorine is a gas tells lots about your chemistry knowledge.

You should read read read and before asking such questions ask yourself: "this idea is nice. But why nobody came with it yet? There must be an explanation for that".

Yes, pyro is an expensive hobby. But with a bit of knowledge, depending where you live, you can source chlorine donors for cheap.
You can do lots of interesting effects without chlorine donors however.

Fountains can be done far cheaper with OTC ingredients.

But moving to fancy stars you will have to sink hundreds in chems.
The equipment is even more expensive.

You *can* make even advanced things starting from cheap and raw ingredients but then you have to gain lots of knowledge and above all, spend tons of time. So you basically trade time for money.

Edited by a_bab
  • Like 1

There are chlorine donors that release elemental chlorine vs hydrogen chloride gas, but I'm not so sure it matters as much.