APC Forum

whistle rocket no pressing?

ronmoper76

No. You're asking for hand-holding without doing any appropriate legwork yourself. Perhaps contact the poster, with Google Translate open and set to Hindi, and ask him yourself. But if you eventually figure out the comp, you probably don't want to dry your motors in or near an oven like the time you almost burned your house down and killed your girlfriend drying stars under a woodburning stove, ffs. Oh, you hurt yourself too? Bad burns? Not unexpected with that level of common sense.

If you haven't noticed yet that you are not receiving a warm reception, it is because you are clearly a moron who is demonstrably a danger to yourself (who cares) and others around you (we care). Who learns zip/zero from dangerous mistakes.

Edited by SharkWhisperer

not this clown again,somebody help me out here. This dude is a obnoxious and never has anything useful to say,i feel like we are at gym class middle school again and he is about to get a wedgie and a trash can over his head. im blocking him his silly ass

• Like 1

ronmoper76, with pyro and many other things, the substance of what is said is more important than how we feel about what was said. You got picked at because you are asking about some of the more dangerous aspects of pyro, and your link to the whistle video shows that you do not know enough about pyro to be making those things. I agree with that perception.

Commercial E-matches have caused deaths. Strobe mix is unusually sensitive. Pressing metals around a spindle is dangerous, and I'm nervous doing it. Whistle mix is almost as powerful as flash. You, as a newbie, want to play with all the most dangerous stuff first. Maybe your wakeup call was rudely made, but it was not unfairly made. Lots of useful stuff was said. If you don't see that, you should maybe look harder. We can't let our emotions get out of hand with pyro- it's a distraction. I say this as a fellow pyro that has let many of the 'big' personalities piss me off. I'm still here, and they're still here. Pyro was more important than our differences, I guess.

• Like 2

this isnt the group for me,you guys are all wrapped up in you playing hall monitor and nothing else. now i see why the community is so dead,i need real info not a daddy. its been nice but there are better places to be guys,this is silly and you do it to every new guy on your board,the deeper i dug the more of this bullshit i found,you guys are too much

Edited by ronmoper76

Play the video with google translate on google chrome open. You can translate it via that way. Honestly I feel like you should chill a bit with whistle mix unless you got a press and a proper workshop that has all the safety materials, I have no experience with whistle mix but I know the stuff is real dangerous.

Edited by yardarmwheeze

ronmoper76, with pyro and many other things, the substance of what is said is more important than how we feel about what was said. You got picked at because you are asking about some of the more dangerous aspects of pyro, and your link to the whistle video shows that you do not know enough about pyro to be making those things. I agree with that perception.

Commercial E-matches have caused deaths. Strobe mix is unusually sensitive. Pressing metals around a spindle is dangerous, and I'm nervous doing it. Whistle mix is almost as powerful as flash. You, as a newbie, want to play with all the most dangerous stuff first. Maybe your wakeup call was rudely made, but it was not unfairly made. Lots of useful stuff was said. If you don't see that, you should maybe look harder. We can't let our emotions get out of hand with pyro- it's a distraction. I say this as a fellow pyro that has let many of the 'big' personalities piss me off. I'm still here, and they're still here. Pyro was more important than our differences, I guess.

True the only thing that scares me more than flash powder is pressing whistle rockets. Stuff can be so dangerous.

yardarmwheeze, I watched the video. The ingredients are misidentified, and the method is to roll balls of green-dyed dough into a tube that contains a length of pink visco. The whistle rocket is 'pressed' by jamming the dough in with a pen. At the end, he flies 3 whistle rockets, but they are very far away. This way, you can't easily see that the rockets he flew were not the ones he demonstrated the making of. I used the CC option to watch it on YouTube. The translation is hilarious!

• Like 1

yardarmwheeze, I watched the video. The ingredients are misidentified, and the method is to roll balls of green-dyed dough into a tube that contains a length of pink visco. The whistle rocket is 'pressed' by jamming the dough in with a pen. At the end, he flies 3 whistle rockets, but they are very far away. This way, you can't easily see that the rockets he flew were not the ones he demonstrated the making of. I used the CC option to watch it on YouTube. The translation is hilarious!

You were not far from the truth. The translation said he is making "a dick hanging pill" wtfff :blink: :wacko: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: .

I agree with Justvisiting. There's about a 100% chance of that video being complete bullshit.

• Like 1

thank you very much for the opinions ,you guys are probably right about the video. As far as giving up on whistle rockets,not happening. I started out with BP and sugar and magnalium and every kind i could find info on......I got bored and moved to 1lb rockets did all the same shit and started running whistle on my BP set and got hooked immediately,I went through a 100 motors and was bored again,i bought a 3lb whistle and support set and 200 tubes,i build them everyday,I have so much shit there is no turning back,lol I been a pyro all my life,I was ordering shit from Pyrotek in pennsylvania back in the late 90's when they still sold lbs of red phosphorus to anyone. I WAS a boomer most of my life and made so much shit its silly. Anyhow,im building rockets,if you guys wanna give advice or help i'm all ears,if you wanna bitch,complain,and scold a 40 year old man like a child,im good please dont even bother to answer,im not interested. This hobby is my passion and i'm not quitting it because of someone else's opinion.

• 2 months later...
This guy is a fool, his video is not real, it shows him making a sugar rocket that when lit whistles and that can not be done! There are many whistle formulas but they will all contain potassium perchlorate it is impossible to make whistles with kno3! Well as far as I know it is! You can make whistles without pressing them, but to find out how you will have to join fireworks.com it only cost 40usd a year and has the formulas for all the pyro creations you can imagine! Money well spent! It also tells you alot of safety stuff that I think you should know before making whistle rockets! The only way that I know of to make them with out a press, is to cast the propellant grain! But it is alot harder to make consistent rockets! Buy an arbor press! That would be my advice!
  • Like 1

I'm actually trying to work out how to make multi stage whistle rockets atm! I was stumped at first because of the gap from the bottom of the tube to the grain, but I think I have worked out how to make them work, I have 1 ready to go test tonight, fingers crossed it will pass fire to the second rocket motor without too much delay, otherwise I may have it come flying back at me instead of going higher up!

And as for all the people with an attitude, going on the basis that he will blow himself up, if the guy is already making flash, then whistle fuel is less dangerous, yer it is still scary powerful, but not 30000fps dangerous! I have only been in this hobby a few years but the first flash powder I made was using magnesium, and we all know how dangerous it is to use mg as the fuel for flash powder, well most of us know, the rest will find out soon enough when the moisture makes thier flash go bang, I understand people should do thier due diligence but he was asking about a bogus video that some fool has posted, if you watch the video, the fool that posted it is trying to sell the green liquid he recons he uses to make sugar rockets whistle! He is trying to scam fellow pro's that don't have the experience to pick that he is a fraud! So instead of whining about someone, how about you watch the video first to see what he is talking about!
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have a 20 ton press now and have had a lot of luck pressing 1lb and 3lb motors. This was before all of that and i was very interested in the casting method,very little info is out there. However now i wouldn't even think about it,

I can press a motor in under 10 minutes start to finish and they almost always work. I don't need to reinvent the wheel,pressing is easy and it works in 10 min,no drying involved.

• 2 weeks later...

And as for all the people with an attitude, going on the basis that he will blow himself up, if the guy is already making flash, then whistle fuel is less dangerous, yer it is still scary powerful, but not 30000fps dangerous! I have only been in this hobby a few years but the first flash powder I made was using magnesium, and we all know how dangerous it is to use mg as the fuel for flash powder, well most of us know, the rest will find out soon enough when the moisture makes thier flash go bang, I understand people should do thier due diligence but he was asking about a bogus video that some fool has posted, if you watch the video, the fool that posted it is trying to sell the green liquid he recons he uses to make sugar rockets whistle! He is trying to scam fellow pro's that don't have the experience to pick that he is a fraud! So instead of whining about someone, how about you watch the video first to see what he is talking about!

Your FP detonates at 30000 fps?? Whew hew!!! That's some quick FP!

You have quoted an impossibility as fact. Apologies if your 30k quote was a typo. I hope so. But propagating inaccurate information can be dangerous in the energetic sciences. Fortunately in this instance the error is primarily academic.

30000 fps, hmmm. That's 9144 m/s. I can only think of a couple of HEs that detonate at that velocity, so that must be some super magical extra special FP! That FP exceeds the well-established detonation velocities of nitrocellulose (7300 m/s), nitroglycerine (7700 m/s), and whips the pants off of lazy old TNT that only blows at a paltry 6900 m/s. But it even smokes PETN (8400 m/s) and RDX (8650 m/s), which is amazing! Actually, PETN and RDX produce around a 340 kilobar peak pressure wave, which is almost 100 times as brisant as 70:30 FP.

Please check your sources before you quote "facts" such as these. You sure you didn't mean 3000 f/s? Again, I apologize if that was a simple typo. That's generally considered the (extremely) high end with thermal ignition, and many think that rate is very generous. Shimuzu in 1981 gave a presentation suggesting the ability to get 3000 m/s det velocities when perc/Al/antimony trisulfide was set off with a #6 blasting cap, suggesting true detonation in this case, not deflagration that happens in a fireworking salute.

Here's a nice 2015 paper by a Russian group that evaluated the effect of "mechanical activation" aka ball milling (!) 70:30 FP and some other ratios on deflagration/detonation rates. Unmilled burned at a whopping 400 m/s (far from 9144 m/s) but that sped up whole to 1200-1400 m/s (still far from 9144 m/s) after 10-40 minutes of milling with steel balls (under hexane). Oh, and their measured values were 40% lower than thermodynamic calculations would suggest. Go figure.

Point being, yes, you are correct. FP can and will bite you in the ass, possibly very hard, if not given appropriate respect. Not fear, but caution and respect. And you made a good point about Mg-based FP; it's just not necessary or worth the risks. But FP is absolutely nowhere in the ballpark with respect to deflagration/detonation velocity or explosive power when compared to essentially all common HEs.

And good call on that scheister video with the ass peddling green sugar rocket goo. Sheesh...

DON'T MILL FLASH like these crazy Russians did.

70-30 FP Det Velocity Research Report 2015.pdf

Edited by SharkWhisperer

Comparing flash to whistle safety-wise is a bit of an apples compared to bananas situation, IMHO. 70/30 will certainly ruin your day, but it's fairly difficult to ignite and won't detonate deflagrate easily if unconfined, and in small amounts. Whistle involves more handling, the use of flammable solvents (usually), and then it's pressed around a metal spindle in a tube encased in metal, with a press. These two completely different animals will get you the same way, but I would have to guess that whistle is the animal most likely to cause injury. Also, flash is expected to explode when it's used. Whistle often explodes unexpectedly (CATO), which is an additional potential for injury.

• Like 1

I seen this video.. there no information there in there. He didn't mentioned about the composition or what exactly the chem name also.. i would suggest please stay away from these guys. I have seen a video where one Indian guy in youtube claiming kno3 + sugar mix is powerful than Good quality BP. They just do it for views and Likes there. If you read the comments also you will come to know that how they are following the video like fools.

I seen this video.. there no information there in there. He didn't mentioned about the composition or what exactly the chem name also.. i would suggest please stay away from these guys. I have seen a video where one Indian guy in youtube claiming kno3 + sugar mix is powerful than Good quality BP. They just do it for views and Likes there. If you read the comments also you will come to know that how they are following the video like fools.

Hey Deepak, where've you been?

With respect, there's several ways to qualify BP vs rocket candy comps. Nobody's making firecrackers and salutes out of rocket candy mixes because it just doesn't work very well. This is largely because nitrate/sugar comps don't share the same pressure-dependent burn rate enhancement that BP does, so it's harder to get them to deflagrate with noise.

But on the basis of ISP (specific impulse), the gas velocity created through a nozzle per mass of fuel (a performance measure) in rocket motors, KNSU (nitrate/sucrose) has a much higher value than BP. I think typical ISP values are around 80s for BP and somewhere around 130-150s for sugar fuel/nitrate mixes, depending on the fuel selection. If you check out Richard Nakka's site, there's a ton of high-powered, high-altitude rockets getting launched on sugar fuels. By comparison, over 200s, probably close to 300s with ammonium perchlorate-based composite fuels.

Sometimes we enjoy multiple uses of the standard physics definition of power=work/time...

BP is definitely more "powerful" than KNSU if you want to blow up a mountain to extract some coal or whatnot :=}

Edited by SharkWhisperer

The video is fake. You become less intelligent after you watch it. Most pyro building on YouTube is fake or dangerous (not all, but most). Do not go there to search and learn. That is all that needs to be said. Move along.

• Like 1

Hey Deepak, where've you been?

With respect, there's several ways to qualify BP vs rocket candy comps. Nobody's making firecrackers and salutes out of rocket candy mixes because it just doesn't work very well. This is largely because nitrate/sugar comps don't share the same pressure-dependent burn rate enhancement that BP does, so it's harder to get them to deflagrate with noise.

But on the basis of ISP (specific impulse), the gas velocity created through a nozzle per mass of fuel (a performance measure) in rocket motors, KNSU (nitrate/sucrose) has a much higher value than BP. I think typical ISP values are around 80s for BP and somewhere around 130-150s for sugar fuel/nitrate mixes, depending on the fuel selection. If you check out Richard Nakka's site, there's a ton of high-powered, high-altitude rockets getting launched on sugar fuels. By comparison, over 200s, probably close to 300s with ammonium perchlorate-based composite fuels.

Sometimes we enjoy multiple uses of the standard physics definition of power=work/time...

BP is definitely more "powerful" than KNSU if you want to blow up a mountain to extract some coal or whatnot :=}

Hey SW,

I am good. How you been?

Yeah, i am also on the same point. Here is the link of video which i was saying earlier. https://youtu.be/UfzbD_bJBFE

No safety precautions as such, he almost burnt his balls at end of video.

He is claiming that, it is powerful "white Gunpowder". A guy with decent amount of knowledge in chems will not say KNSU as gun powder. I missed to mention in earlier post that he is claiming it as white gun powder. If he have said about gas velocity, i would agree sugar mix have more value. I would to suggest to avoid these kind of video's.

So @Ron don't belive all video that are being posted in YouTube. The genuineness of those video are very less.

Edited by deepakpyro
  • Like 1