APC Forum

Water proof fuse

Tim1877

Is there anyway to make my visco fuse completely waterproof its commercial visco thats fairly water resistant but I want it waterproof

I have never never had good commercial visco (full size, not that little stuff) fail when lit and tossed into the water. What do you mean..leaving it out in a rainstorm before lighting it? Water will wick in. I suppose you could treat the ends with NC. That would help. But wet stuff don’t burn well.

Visco is waterproofed using a coating of NC lacquer, so adding a heavier coat might help. You could also try coating in something like PVC cement.

My experience is that visco will eventually crack, especially when it's long enough to dangle during handling/transport.

That's where most water enters and stops it.

Any visco I've had over the years had this problem.

My solution for wet jobs was heat-shrink tube. The stuff with internal glue might work even better.

This funktioned up to several meters dept.

Try Vaseline, rubbing candle wax on the fuse or a coat of clear nail polish works too.

I would try what BetICouldMake1 suggested. Nc coat or pvc coat. If the fuse isn't going to be bent or ruff handled like mabusse00 said, cracks shouldn't be a issue. I like the idea of Nc coating the end of the fuse if it is to be stored in a moisture environment.