• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Tim1877

Tim1877

Pyromaniac

• Donator - HE
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
  • Interests:Anything outdoors,splitting the night sky,the smell of burnt gunpowder

Posted 18 February 2021 - 11:29 PM

Is there anyway to make my visco fuse completely waterproof its commercial visco thats fairly water resistant but I want it waterproof

Tim

#2 Richtee

Richtee

Firebreather

• Donator - HE
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,815 posts
  • Interests:Electronics and security professional. A fair cook/pitmaster, and bourbon drinker :{)

Posted 19 February 2021 - 04:37 AM

I have never never had good commercial visco (full size, not that little stuff) fail when lit and tossed into the water. What do you mean..leaving it out in a rainstorm before lighting it? Water will wick in. I suppose you could treat the ends with NC. That would help. But wet stuff don’t burn well. 

I like smoke! On food or in the air equally well.

#3 BetICouldMake1

BetICouldMake1

Pyrotechnician

• HE Qualified
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 19 February 2021 - 09:00 AM

Visco is waterproofed using a coating of NC lacquer, so adding a heavier coat might help. You could also try coating in something like PVC cement. 

#4 mabuse00

mabuse00

Pyrotechnician

• HE Qualified
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 509 posts

Posted 19 February 2021 - 10:38 AM

My experience is that visco will eventually crack, especially when it's long enough to dangle during handling/transport. 

That's where most water enters and stops it.

Any visco I've had over the years had this problem.

My solution for wet jobs was heat-shrink tube. The stuff with internal glue might work even better.

This funktioned up to several meters dept.

#5 WRAITH

WRAITH

Playing with fire

• PipPip
  • 30 posts
  • Interests:Chemistry, Pyrotechnics, Mini Scale Modern Cannons Jet Turbines (thermodynamics), Model Rocketry, Electrotechnology, Mechanical Engineering & Philosophy.

Posted 20 February 2021 - 07:07 AM

Try Vaseline, rubbing candle wax on the fuse or a coat of clear nail polish works too.

#6 Mumbles

Mumbles

Grandmaster

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,737 posts

Posted 20 February 2021 - 10:48 AM

I'd be worried about the vaseline more than likely leaching in and ruining the fuel grain. 

• WRAITH likes this
Just so you guys quit asking, here is the link to the old forum. http://www.xsorbit2....forum/index.cgi

The sky is my canvas, and I have 2,113 pounds of powdered paint in the workshop.

#7 cmjlab

cmjlab

Smelt the smoke

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 February 2021 - 03:00 PM

🤪

#8 pyrojig

pyrojig

Firebreather

• Donator - HE
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,085 posts
  • Interests:many

Posted 21 February 2021 - 11:19 AM

I would try what BetICouldMake1 suggested. Nc coat or pvc coat. If the fuse isn't going to be bent or ruff handled like mabusse00 said, cracks shouldn't be a issue. I like the idea of Nc coating the end of the fuse if it is to be stored in a moisture environment.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users