APC Forum

How to make the colored ti salute/hard break effect in these cakes?

SignalKanboom

I want to know how the hard break/colored salute effect is achieved in this cake? Edited by SignalKanboom

1) Excellent priming

2) Excellent wind resistance

3) Small star size

4) Well tuned burst charge

I believe someone dissected an insert from one cake, and saw what appeared to be rice or rice hulls coated in star composition. Obviously you need something with more punch than black powder to get this effect. We know that finer components lend higher wind resistance to the stars. I have a personal suspicion that granulated, as opposed to powdered, perchlorate-based burst charge may improve this effect for flame propagation reasons.

There have been a number of iterations of this cake over the years, but I have never been fortunate to get my hands on one. I don't even know who the primary seller was.

1) Excellent priming

2) Excellent wind resistance

3) Small star size

4) Well tuned burst charge

I believe someone dissected an insert from one cake, and saw what appeared to be rice or rice hulls coated in star composition. Obviously you need something with more punch than black powder to get this effect. We know that finer components lend higher wind resistance to the stars. I have a personal suspicion that granulated, as opposed to powdered, perchlorate-based burst charge may improve this effect for flame propagation reasons.

There have been a number of iterations of this cake over the years, but I have never been fortunate to get my hands on one. I don't even know who the primary seller was.

I have never heard of granulated burst charges, other than black powder. Coated rice, or rice hulls is interesting, wouldnt the composition be blown off of the rice or hulls with a strong burst like that?