Boost converters?

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#21 WRAITH

WRAITH

Playing with fire

• PipPip
  • 30 posts
  • Interests:Chemistry, Pyrotechnics, Mini Scale Modern Cannons Jet Turbines (thermodynamics), Model Rocketry, Electrotechnology, Mechanical Engineering & Philosophy.

Posted 12 February 2021 - 08:04 PM

Buy a lipo battery 3000mAh or 5000mAh 11.1v 3S.
When fully charged, it should be 12.6v or more. Also depending on the cable length & cable used to your ignition source, low mAh won't have the current there to heat the nichrome. I use light duty speaker cable, not the heavy one, but the regular type & can run it at 20metres without a problem.

#22 Richtee

Richtee

Firebreather

• Donator - HE
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,814 posts
  • Interests:Electronics and security professional. A fair cook/pitmaster, and bourbon drinker :{)

Posted 13 February 2021 - 12:08 AM

For boosting power, try using a voltage amplifier circuit or a plasma lighter circuit as they use only 3.7v, but give a high voltage output (electric arc that burns) or if you are using cheap throw away batteries, i suggest building a small joul thief circuit. You may want to add a capacitor to store more energy & smooth out voltage.

Just get a fucking gel cell and be done with it. Christ... it’s not rocket science. Well, the ignition part anyway.

I like smoke! On food or in the air equally well.

#23 WRAITH

WRAITH

Playing with fire

• PipPip
  • 30 posts
  • Interests:Chemistry, Pyrotechnics, Mini Scale Modern Cannons Jet Turbines (thermodynamics), Model Rocketry, Electrotechnology, Mechanical Engineering & Philosophy.

Posted 14 February 2021 - 09:23 AM

A gel cell ? Lithium Polymer 3S 11.1v (LiPo) is the way i go & it's very efficient, but i was just giving examples for a question which needed an answer.

#24 Richtee

Richtee

Firebreather

• Donator - HE
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,814 posts
  • Interests:Electronics and security professional. A fair cook/pitmaster, and bourbon drinker :{)

Posted 14 February 2021 - 11:52 AM

A gel cell ? Lithium Polymer 3S 11.1v (LiPo) is the way i go & it's very efficient, but i was just giving examples for a question which needed an answer.

Lead/acid sealed cell. But fine... the fancy lithium would work too.

My remark is about all the wazoo electronic crap some are trying to use a watch battery to fire an igniter with. Waste of time and money. It IS kinda amusing tho.

#25 WRAITH

WRAITH

Playing with fire

• PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 18 February 2021 - 03:04 AM

Yeah totally agree, but i had to add my 2cents worth given my knowledge in electronics. Also there are some quite disturbing questions in a few topics if you scroll through. 🤣🤣

#26 Richtee

Richtee

Firebreather

• Donator - HE
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,814 posts

Posted 19 February 2021 - 08:28 AM

or if you are using cheap throw away batteries, i suggest building a small joul thief circuit. 

BTW... never heard of the “Joule Thief” circuit. Cool. Thanks!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users