APC Forum

stars expiration date

Givat

Hi guys,

I thought on making stars/BP and othet mixtures in the kilo's and save them in a safe closet in my yard, away from the house and lab.

Making stars and BP in the kilo's is much easier then making each time I need the exact proportion of mixture.

I had about 1 kilo of zinc\BP stars sitting in my closet for a year I think, and today I just can't light them. I guess the zinc reacted with the KNO3. (the closet isn't humidity free at all)

Is there any "expiration date" for some mixtures? especially BP and colored stars based on Mg/Al and potassium chlorate\perchlorate.

And I don't talk about the safety issue of saving alot of flammable mixtures, Just the time you can save them with out lossing there effect.

Theres not really an expiration date to speak of. I've heard of people using stars that were over a decade old and having them work fine. I make stuff as I need it but always end up with some excess. If I only have a bit left I'll make a "garbage" or "floor sweeping" shell or mine. If I have a lot, like I do right now, I save them until next time. Never sits around for more than a few months.

Obviously storage will play a signifigant role here. Temp changes, and explosure to humidity will reduce any of the numbers.

Here's how I think about certain comps.

BP/charcoal streamers - indefinite shelf life if sealed up from humidity

organically fueled color stars - indefinite shelf life if sealed

Aluminum with nitrates - I'd give it a year or two if properly containing Boric acid

Aluminum with nitrates (no boric) - if you can get them to dry without reaction, maybe a month for flake, 3-4 months for granular/atomised

Al fueled color stars - 6 months

MgAl fueled color stars - a year or two

Mg fueled color stars w/o coating - 2 weeks

Mg fueled color stars w/ coating - 1-2 years

Zinc - 2-3 months

NC bound stars - a few years if kept out of sunlight

Mumbles is your definition of mg w/ coating K2Cr2O7 treatment or any sort of treatment like mg/linseed oil?

I was just generalizing a coating. It could be either linseed or dichromate, as long as it isn't AP based stars. If it is, it has to be dichromate.