APC Forum

Top fuse issue

THEONE

I started recently to top fuse my canister shells because sometimes, rarely though, a flower pot is happening. Also for heavy shells it is mandatory to top fuse them. What i have noticed is that sometimes my spolette do not light up. I i am using 2 pieces of blackmach fuse at the top of the spolette for easier ignition. When i bottom fuse them i did never had that issue, they always got lit. Any idea how to solve this problem ?

Thanks

Are you relying on the lift charge to light the spolette? If so, that's probably your issue. Generally we use something called a "bucket". This is effectively a small thin paper tube that is slipped over the primed spolette. The leader runs into the top of the bucket, and then a second piece of quickmatch runs from the bucket to the lift charge. This way, when the leader lights it pumps fire into the bucket, lighting the spolette and then the passfire pipes fire down to the lift charge.

I see two choices, (there will be a hundred others).

1/ Use a side fuse from lift to spollette protect with a bucket til you are ready to add the long QM fuse.

2/ Run the QM fuse from the spollette, through the lift charge( bared well) then back to become the long top QM fuse.

Basically always run a piece of QM from the lift to the spollette.

One of the features of a cylinder shell is that the fire and hot gasses are better used because the length of the shell reduces blow-by.