APC Forum

My Story - Project Firework

deepakpyro

You'll have to try and see. With that much metal around, the carbonate might start to become less innocent in the composition. It takes a strong fuel, but with enough force you can turn carbonates into oxidizers. See Buell Red for instance. The strontium carbonate is more than just a colorant.

• Like 1

You'll have to try and see. With that much metal around, the carbonate might start to become less innocent in the composition. It takes a strong fuel, but with enough force you can turn carbonates into oxidizers. See Buell Red for instance. The strontium carbonate is more than just a colorant.

Agree with you Mumbles...have to try.

Edited by deepakpyro

• 1 month later...

Why my pumped star is a disaster?

This is dextrin based star.. tool used to pump is syringe.

This is a red star, contain mgal, al, strontium nitrate, PVC powder, C and S.

Why this happening any reason ?. It happened when i kept for drying under shades

post-23199-0-10237000-1615144781_thumb.jpg

Edited by deepakpyro

Wow!

That is some serious breaking up.

It looks as if in the process of drying something is expanding internally.

• 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Made few 4 inch spherical shell with color inserts and few salutes for Diwali night.

Total number of inserts : 2 white strobe, 1 pink, 1 Red and 1 green and 5 salute (~5gms flash)

Soft break due to less bursting charge

Shell no 2 :(WA0015) modified D1 glitter - Ned's formula

I quite satisfied with the break and it kind of not reached its apogee.

Shell no 3: (WA0017) Green star nitrate based

Star size : ~7 mm cut Stars + prime - final size around 9 mm

Arranged to get uniform round shell effect but few stars burst blind. Blind stars is due to lack of really hot prime using only Nitrates.

Bursting charge : 7:1 Bp coated rice husks

Booster charge: slow flash

Edited by deepakpyro
  • Like 1

Agreed! Very nice work!

Nice...

How did you arrange them....?? Please do share detailed of that...

Thanks...

I missed to take pics of the construction, but i will try to cover as much details i can.

Color inserts : its a ~1 inch plastic ball, which i bought as qty of 100 from local toys supplier. Used visco fuse from commercial fireworks as delay fuse.

Stars are made like mouse turds, passed through 12 mesh screen, primed with BP + 8% mgal + 5 Indian Dark Al. For each color insert i used kno3 flash powder as bursting charge.

For salute - i used 12 mm dia paper tubes, both end sealed with mud+glue and made a small opening on top with a pin and black Match dipped in BP+ dextrin slurry used as timing fuse.

I used 2 color insert and salute in one hemi and only 3 color insert in others hemi which doesn't have spolette.

Used 7:1 rice husk and ~5 gms of slow fash as booster on each hemis. These color insert doesn't fit into each hemi's, so i have arranged in a manner, so that there will be few space left in opposite hemi to fit in. Finally few tap on closed shell bought two hemi's together and used 12 layers of 3/4 inch of gum tape on shell. Burst is little week due to shell is not dried enough due to heavy rain. will post the fully dried shell in couple of days

post-23199-0-91955300-1636162975_thumb.jpg

post-23199-0-11696300-1636163006_thumb.jpg

Edited by deepakpyro
  • Like 1

I missed to take pics of the construction, but i will try to cover as much details i can.

Color inserts : its a ~1 inch plastic ball, which i bought as qty of 100 from local toys supplier. Used visco fuse from commercial fireworks as delay fuse.

Stars are made like mouse turds, passed through 12 mesh screen, primed with BP + 8% mgal + 5 Indian Dark Al. For each color insert i used kno3 flash powder as bursting charge.

For salute - i used 12 mm dia paper tubes, both end sealed with mud+glue and made a small opening on top with a pin and black Match dipped in BP+ dextrin slurry used as timing fuse.

I used 2 color insert and salute in one hemi and only 3 color insert in others hemi which doesn't have spolette.

Used 7:1 rice husk and ~5 gms of slow fash as booster on each hemis. These color insert doesn't fit into each hemi's, so i have arranged in a manner, so that there will be few space left in opposite hemi to fit in. Finally few tap on closed shell bought two hemi's together and used 12 layers of 3/4 inch of gum tape on shell. Burst is little week due to shell is not dried enough due to heavy rain. will post the fully dried shell in couple of days

Okay...

For more information I will communicate with you later....

Thanks...

Pink star -

Strontium Nitrate- 50

Mgal 200 mesh- 19

Pvc - 18

Sulphur/red gum - 5

Charcoal airfloat- 4

Cupric - 16

Dextrin - 5

The composite is over 100%

Instead of Mgal only, 50/50 mgal and spherical 325 mesh Al will work also.

• Like 1

Pink star -

Strontium Nitrate- 50

Mgal 200 mesh- 19

Pvc - 18

Sulphur/red gum - 5

Charcoal airfloat- 4

Cupric - 16

Dextrin - 5

The composite is over 100%

Instead of Mgal only, 50/50 mgal and spherical 325 mesh Al will work also.

Thanks a lot

• 2 years later...

After a long break made made few 4 inch and 3 inch shell. 

Missed to take videos of the performance but got few from friends.

1. My first ever crackle star shell - 3 inch - flash burst 

2. Ned's modified D1 glitter 4 inch - flash burst

Used non milled BP for lift, so it is not great. But overall satisfied 

Nice shells, great symmetry and love the glitter effect on that 2nd video!  Nice work!

Edited by cmjlab

15 hours ago, deepakpyro said:

After a long break made made few 4 inch and 3 inch shell. 

Missed to take videos of the performance but got few from friends.

1. My first ever crackle star shell - 3 inch - flash burst 

2. Ned's modified D1 glitter 4 inch - flash burst

Used non milled BP for lift, so it is not great. But overall satisfied 

Very nice shells friend...!!

Specially gliiter is pretty...!!

Is it pumped star ? What is binder and solvent for that?.

Also loved burst charge for shells..!!

9 hours ago, Zumber said:

Very nice shells friend...!!

Specially gliiter is pretty...!!

Is it pumped star ? What is binder and solvent for that?.

Also loved burst charge for shells..!!

Yes, it is pumped star. I have 14mm star pump made locally. Used dextrin as binder and water+IPO for activation. 

For the 4 inch, i mixed rice husks and slow flash to fill the gap between the stars and to avoid very hard break

Thank you for response...!!