APC Forum

How do you store zinc powder?

hanabi

I have a bunch of Skylighter #099 Zinc in many small plastic containers.

I wish to store it in fewer. What have you used? Maybe something with a handle?

Joe O

Zinc forms a protective layer that prevents it from further oxidation.

But I'm not sure how thick this layer will be and, expecially with fine powders, how many material is sacrificed that way.

If your zinc is rather fresh, and you want to keep it that way, my choice would be glass bottles with teflon seals.

If passivation is OK, any HDPE ect. container will do the job.

Under “Z” :D

Larger weights of zinc dust are stored effectively in new metal paint (type) cans with good seals. A one gallon steel can holds roughly 30 Lbs.

WSM B)

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Larger weights of zinc dust are stored effectively in new metal paint (type) cans with good seals. A one gallon steel can holds roughly 30 Lbs.

WSM B)

"Unexplained explosions involving zinc dust have been reported". Read this long ago. Wondered about validity, having stored and used plenty long ago. Any info?

Is zinc dust a pyrophoric? ICSC 1205 - ZINC POWDER (pyrophoric) Highly flammable. May ignite spontaneously on contact with air. Many reactions may cause fire or explosion.

• 1 month later...

"Unexplained explosions involving zinc dust have been reported". Read this long ago. Wondered about validity, having stored and used plenty long ago. Any info?

Is zinc dust a pyrophoric? ICSC 1205 - ZINC POWDER (pyrophoric) Highly flammable. May ignite spontaneously on contact with air. Many reactions may cause fire or explosion.

If memory serves, zinc is more chemically reactive than magnesium (they're both used as sacrificial anodes in water heaters, etc.). Zinc dust has a huge amount of surface area and reacts with many things. It's easy to see how careless handling and/or reckless mixing with various chemicals could lead to an unwanted reaction (deflagration or explosion).

In fact some mixtures will react with the addition of a few drops of water or sweat! Be careful!

WSM B)