APC Forum

strobe formula without potassium dichromate

SignalKanboom

I dont want to mill potassium dichromate, but I hear the white strobe fuel with dichromate is the best. What purpose does the dichromate serve? Also, who uses nitro lacquer, who uses canning wax/Coleman fuel, and who uses Coleman fuel/Vaseline? What are the amounts you use? which do you like best, and why?

Also, anyone experience with colored strobe mix and got it to work? Is it the strobe mix, or is it the whistle mix made to burn blue. I know it could be done both ways. I need some advice on formulas, how to avoid catos, and how important the wax/nitro lacquer/ Vaseline is and how much to use.

• Like 1

I've developed a few dichromate free color strobe rocket formulas. They don't store as well as some but the color is better.

Every had luck with blue? Do you ever make 1 lb and up? I would love to make blue, but I hear they dont work well. What increment of whistle to strobe are you using?

I use an 1/8" increment of whistle at the top of the spindle. The rest is all strobe to the bottom. The whistle breaths fire down the core to help with ignition, this is required because the fuel is more difficult to ignite without any dichromate.

Here's in interesting non toxic blue

https://www.skylighter.com/blogs/how-to-make-fireworks/blue-strobe-rocket

Blue Strobe Rocket Formula

Ammonium perchlorate 63%

Copper oxide, black 10%

PVC powder 5%

GE II Silicone #5000 (bathroom caulk) 22%

Read of on this, as it's a certain type of silicone, I believe it's a 'basic cure' (there's a technical name) anyways it not acetic acid (vinegar) cure

I wondered what the effect of adding MgAl or just Ti or TiFe

I wonder what adding AL would do, and what the different types, would flitter add a white tail, would smaller make it more energetic?

I dont want to mill potassium dichromate, but I hear the white strobe fuel with dichromate is the best. What purpose does the dichromate serve?

DiChromate decreases ignition energy, like Sulfur and, protects the reactive metals when using AP or mag, as anything that draws water (hydrophilic like most ammonium compounds etc)

BUT, my understanding is that the metals should be boiled in a solution of dichromate to form a surface like the AlO complex that aluminum naturally makes, and doesn't do much past catalyzing ignition when included in a composition?

So is it added when you need a 'compatible' catalyst

Edited by Smokelvr

You'd have trouble finding something to act as both a catalyst and a protectant for the metal. I'd suggest trying some of the hotter whistle catalysts as a start if it's the strobe rate you're interested in improving. Copper oxychloride, copper oxide, etc. Maybe even Chromium (III) Oxide. It should still give some of the catalysis without the hazards of Chromium (VI) salts.

Potassium dichromate doesn't really offer much protection from nitrates unless it is KNO3. It doesn't really work directly as a catalyst until it decomposes during combustion into chromium oxides.

Using N/C laquer can help prevent some oxidation of the metals and the use of ferrocene works quite well as a catalyst in strobes. The substitutes don't work as well as the original formulas and the substitutes can cause other issues if not used properly.

Hi, I still can't post a new topic so excuse me for diverting from the main theme. Does anyone have any experience with using molybdate as a magnesium coating in place of dichromate? There is a reference in Hardt but I couldn't find the original paper anywhere. It seems to be an appealing alternative cause the molybdate is basically nontoxic. Thanks.

Hi, everybody. Not so long ago, I made my first rocket whistles. Made two whistling fuels. 1) 75 KClO4/ 25 sodium salicylate/+2% polyisobutylene+1% dibutyl phthalate+1% ferrocene 2) 75 KClO4/ 25 lithium benzoate/+2% polyisobutylene+1% dibutyl phthalate+1% ferrocene. 3) strobe fuel 48 AP / 22 SrSO4/ 30 Magnesium granular +5% potassium dichromate +1.5 petroleum jelly + 1.5 paraffin and that's what happened.