APC Forum

My Dream tube support

NeighborJ

I have a few 1lb full length tube supports for sale with a quick release feature. The unique design is very tough and durable, tested to 9000 psi.

The support in the video was a prototype, the ones I have for sale are cleaned up with a nice fit and finish. Asking price $150 each plus shipping. 🇺🇲 states only.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1FDFBM6oTzXR9f39L2lERjTuKg6ep-o57/view?usp=drivesdk

Jason

Edited by NeighborJ

That’s slicker’n snot! :D

• Like 1

It sure is, if I was a rocket guy, I'd be all over that !

This tooling is VERY smart. Hats off!

Being native French speaker, I didn't understand well the material used (dularon??).

The rigidity of it is interesting for other tools....

• Like 1

Delrin is incredibly strong. It is a acetal homopolymer resin, sometimes sold as "acetal".

It sure impressed the hell out of me.

• 2 weeks later...

My Dad started a family owned machine shop when I was in 9th grade. I usually had some fancy equipment at my disposal. I am truly fascinated by the work that many people do with what they have by thinking out side the box.

I did see a youtube video of your latest version with clamps instead of bolts and wing nuts. You mentioned that you had problem with the delrin warping.I believe that these could be manufactured without warping. The machining processes would have to change (unfortunately a router would probably not work). Rough out the parts close to their final dimensions first. Then machining them to their final dimensions could work. I have done this with other materials.

• 3 weeks later...

NeighborJ trusted me to test one of his new supports in the 1lb size. I chose to test it with a bunch of BP motors. The motors were also tested on the Acme test stand. The results of the motor tests will be posted separately later. I already posted my observations about the support on Fireworking.com, and here's what I wrote there:

"I was elected to test one of these supports, and excited to receive it! The one I got has 6 thumbscrews for tightening. NeighborJ asked me to try it out and report back, but I always have to turn things into a big project, for some reason. In this case, I've made about a dozen 1lb nozzleless BP rockets so far with it, of different kinds. The goal was to test a few different rockets in the support and on the Acme, and then do a little writeup to address another member's recent question about nozzleless rockets. I'm almost done re-inventing that wheel, and it looks rounder than ever, more news at 11 ;)

Regarding the support itself, I tested it with old NEPT tubes with a 1" OD. First I hand-rammed a couple of rockets with damp propellant. No negative issues, as expected :) Until later, but that's another story bomb.gif

I pressed various damp powders to 4500psi (2000# on the P to F), and they released very easily, as advertised. The thumbscrews were easy to undo.

I tested the support at 7000psi also, with oiled propellant and it worked just as well.

In a torture test, I pressed some dry powder rockets to 9000psi (4000# on the P to F). I would no longer ever do this with any rockets, but that the maximum folks might reasonably be expected to use. The thumbscrews were a lot harder to open, but to be fair, I have very weak hands, not kidding about that. The motors swelled significantly and had to be wriggled out, rather than falling out on their own. I thought that was odd, since I was specifically watching the support for any signs of stretching, and saw none. Measuring the OD of the motor at various points, I could see that the OD goes up progressively as one gets to the bottom of the motor, which is logical. I was concerned about the stretching of the tube, although the motors tested fine. I decided to compare these motors to other motors I've pressed to similar pressures, that I have in storage. Well, they are no different. There's no way my old brass support stretched, and the OD of those old motors at the base is almost 1.030"! Considering NeighborJ's original inspiration for making this type of support (motors sticking), I think it's a given that there's a certain amount of swelling to be expected, and no support (even at Estes) prevents the natural occurrence.

I'm not going to go into too much detail about the rocket motors themselves, because I plan to do a more detailed writeup about them when I finish testing later today. I don't want to cloud the topic here with all that extra fluff ;)

All in all- I like it! It's not too heavy. Although it's got 4 'staves', it's one 'piece' to deal with. I like it better than a two part support, and the way I make rockets now, it's a bit easier to use than my shimstock support. It's way easier to use than a split PVC support. If I HAD to press a motor to 9000psi, I'd prefer to use my brass support, but I just don't see the need for that any more.

Thanks NeighborJ!"