APC Forum

Ball Milling KP, aka KCIO4 : Potassium Percholrate

shockie

I think we are having the same confusion as before. To many of us, KP is the abbreviation for potassium perchlorate. For others, KP is the abbreviation for perchlorate-based powder. The OP seemed to stress that he meant potassium perchlorate only. In that case, no problem :)

• Like 1

Ok I got 1 person saying no and one saying no problem. And yes I meant KCIO4, Potassium Perchlorate NOT Potassium Chlorate . And I'm talking about BM/Grinding KCIO4 by itself......NOT with any other ingredients.

If Ball Milling is a bad idea, what about using a coffee grinder? .... I've seen KCIO4 on several websites varying from -200 to 325 mesh.....I would like to get it down to a quarter of either of those.

And what's the difference between Potassium Perchlorate and HIGH Purity Potassium Perchlorate? Do either have anti-cake in them?

Yes, my wording can be problematic as I have 1 foot in the pyro world and 1 foot in the rocketry world. If one was to look at a Venn diagram , I'm in that small overlap area. :-)

Edited by shockie

Hmm. I don't know who wrote that stuff in the post above this one, but I don't think it was me! If it was, I'm really losing it ;) I think I would have been the "one saying no problem" to whoever made that post.

Potassium perchlorate is simply a crystaline powder and can be milled down to the mesh cut required. Beware that milling makes fines and these may be no use - don't mill too much or too long.

Ok, if You mean potassium perchlorate powder it is ok to ballmill it also in dry form.

But usually KCLO4 is sold like talcum powder and do not need to be ballmilled like KNO3, that usually is sold with sugar-sized grains.

I suggest You do not use lead balls because they can contaminate the perch easily and the resulting powder will be grey-ish.

Usually I use brass balls, but they are much expensive, so You can also use stainless steels balls without any kind of issues.

Edited by MinamotoKobayashi