Photo
- - - - -

Aluminum Rocket Engine - 3D printed - It's possible?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 PHI

PHI

Playing with fire

• HE Qualified
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 18 November 2020 - 10:09 AM

Hi,

I was using pvc rocket engines with a a concrete noozle, as explains Richard nakka.

But now, I have a 3d printer, and I want to print a rocket engine(de laval nozzle included), and later use this PLA engine to make a mold and melt aluminum (I will melt aluminum from cans).

I need to know a two thigs:
1. It's this possible to melt aluminum and use a 3d pieze (immersed in cast) as mold. When hot aluminum touch PLA, the plastic burns and the aluminum occupy the space, creating the engine and the noozle.

2. I need to calculate firs the max pressure that muy engine can support, because I can calculate the max pressure than the engine will produce (using burnsim or open rocket) but I need to know how must be the wall thinness of the engine in order to support this pressure. How I can calculate this?

#2 Arthur

Arthur

Firebreather

• HE Qualified
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,336 posts

Posted 18 November 2020 - 01:26 PM

First cans are a source of a reasonably pure aluminium, a rocket body may well need to be a good alloy.

Second why not model a motor and make a two part mould with cope and core in the usual way and have the pattern removed and hence reusable and no PLA fumes.

Beware that cast aluminium is often porous and may vent gas sideways

Note that aluminium is a poor material for a nozzle -it simply erodes until it melts away. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users