APC Forum

identify the gold sparkling effect in these strobe rockets please

SignalKanboom

Can someone please watch this YouTube video and tell me if it would be possible to make a sparkling comet like you see in this video, or how to incorporate it into a shell like they did with the rocket header? It is a twinkling gold and red, or maybe a strobing effect. It is hard to miss because it is a gorgeous effect.

20 seconds into the video. It is like a glitter gold that strobes, or really shimmers. I would like to make a comet with that, or a shell with that effect.

I bet he meant 2:00, not :20.

No, it was the 20 second mark. Really, all of the glitter effects had a much more pronounced effect than I have ever seen even at professional shows.

When the stars aren't traveling all that fast, Winokur 20 glitter can make an effect like that. I know a few people who use them as "cheat" strobe cores. Generally speaking, I've found if you get glitters wetter, you get a coarser flashier effect. Cut stars might give something more in that vein than pumped for instance.

When the stars aren't traveling all that fast, Winokur 20 glitter can make an effect like that. I know a few people who use them as "cheat" strobe cores. Generally speaking, I've found if you get glitters wetter, you get a coarser flashier effect. Cut stars might give something more in that vein than pumped for instance.

Is there a simple way to get an effect in the air like that and get similar results. An easy mine, or shell etc.?

I think the other reason the effect looks so good, is the fact that the delay was timed just right with the apogee of the rocket, so they fell down and lingered. Im not a pro, but I would assume that in a shell they would be thrown much faster and burn out quicker due the amount of oxygen being fed to the stars. I guess a shell with a weak burst, or less spiking. Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated. I want to perfect this effect, but I dont have the tooling, or the experience to jump into strobe rockets safely.

Maybe, a shell with a little more delay and a weak burst that comes a hair later than apogee.

Edited by SignalKanboom

I probably could have give a little more info. When I said "cheat" strobe cores, I meant exactly that. These are going to be rolled stars. Win 20, or something similar, is the core, followed by probably a color and maybe a streamer over the top of that. The idea is that by the time the star burns to the central core, it's slowed down quite a bit.

If I were going to try to get kind of a flashy effect like that I'd probably break the shell softer if I wasn't going to try to go that core route. Cylinders tend to not break quite as hard, and they're pretty controllable by dialing in cannule size, amount or strength of spiking, etc. Bigger stars or comets may also not be propelled as hard or as far. I don't have a good video, but I like Win 20 in this shell called a Sun and Planets. There's a few ways to make them, but one I like is a dark break of insert shells (planets), followed by a full sized center break (sun). Ideally it's timed so that the inserts go off at the same time as the main break. The strobe type effect is pretty cool for the sun portion.

I probably could have give a little more info. When I said "cheat" strobe cores, I meant exactly that. These are going to be rolled stars. Win 20, or something similar, is the core, followed by probably a color and maybe a streamer over the top of that. The idea is that by the time the star burns to the central core, it's slowed down quite a bit.

If I were going to try to get kind of a flashy effect like that I'd probably break the shell softer if I wasn't going to try to go that core route. Cylinders tend to not break quite as hard, and they're pretty controllable by dialing in cannule size, amount or strength of spiking, etc. Bigger stars or comets may also not be propelled as hard or as far. I don't have a good video, but I like Win 20 in this shell called a Sun and Planets. There's a few ways to make them, but one I like is a dark break of insert shells (planets), followed by a full sized center break (sun). Ideally it's timed so that the inserts go off at the same time as the main break. The strobe type effect is pretty cool for the sun portion.

What if I dont have a star roller? I know you mentioned bigger stars, or comets, you mean incorporated in a shell for stars, and single comet fired by itself?

Is there a way to make a strobing comet as bright as those little consumer ones? They look like they were molded in a muffin pan with a fuse in them. A shell with a strobe effect on it as it goes up would be cool too, like they put streamer pucks on the bottom of a shell, would it be possible to put a strobe on the bottom of shell? I know it would distract from the effect you put in there, but if done right I think it could be very cool. Strobe on the way up and a dark salute, or something that is unique.

Thanks for the extra info on the cheater strobe core, maybe they could be hand rolled, just to try it. Once I get more time and money I plan to build a star roller.

Edited by SignalKanboom

You don't need a star roller. I was just mentioning one use of this.

I meant bigger stars or even comets incorporated into a shell. Bigger stars/comets, don't fly as far given the same amount of burst. These stars look glittery when they're traveling fairly fast, and give more of a strobe effect when they're going slower. The idea is to not break them as hard or get them to slow down faster to maximize the amount of strobe-like effect you get.

You don't need a star roller. I was just mentioning one use of this.

I meant bigger stars or even comets incorporated into a shell. Bigger stars/comets, don't fly as far given the same amount of burst. These stars look glittery when they're traveling fairly fast, and give more of a strobe effect when they're going slower. The idea is to not break them as hard or get them to slow down faster to maximize the amount of strobe-like effect you get.

That will be my next experiment. Thanks mumbles.