APC Forum

Guidance Needed - Green Flare With Magnalium

R7T

Hey everyone, I am new to the hobby and hoping to create some small beginner devices but have safety concerns about everything before I start making or buying anything.

So I am asking for your help and guidance on everything first before anything else, as safety is my main concern.

Just looking to start with simple things like colored flares, fountains, spinners..

For now I would like to try to make colored flares with magalium, but I am new and want to do this in the safest way possible.

I would like to start with a green flare with coarse magnalium for some added sizzle.

I am reading that you can not mix nitrates with magnalium it says heat, shock and friction sensitive if mixed with nitrates..

so I need advice on what I need to know, what needs to be done to create this device safely?

Edited by R7T

Where did you read that you cannot mix nitrates with magnalium? There are many colored star compositions that contain both of these elements. The warning that the mixture is heat sensitive is kind of funny. It is a pyrotechnic composition that is designed to ignite and burn when initiated thermally. Of course it is sensitive to heat.

Nitrate-metal compositions are not the most sensitive color compositions in common use. Consider the perchlorate or chlorate formulas, for example. The fact is that many people, factories, etc. process these compositions without any problems.

If I had to make a green flare, I would tamp or press the composition into tubes. Ramming metallic compositions with a hammer is not recommended due to risk of sparking, but still commonly done.

On a related note: has anyone experimented with the replacement of SrNO3 with BaNO3 in the oil-sawdust road flare formulas?

You are sitting on a veritable encyclopedia of knowledge right here! When a noob comes onto the board, I tell them the same thing I was told, back then. These topics are ALL Searchable, and you - as a member have access to ALL of it! Start with the "new guys" areas, and read backwards thru the entries. You MUST build a basis for your knowledge, by learning basic stuff before you try too much too soon. I absolutely LOVE pyro, and I have learned a TON of good stuff from the wizards here. Personally, I specialize, and have little interest in rockets, or traditional pyro. As my name implies, I am a "Flare Launcher". This is really fun for me, and I can learn from the best, here. As you post more, and read more, you'll get to the point where you may be able to chime in, too. My (long winded) point? This is a wonderful repository of knowledge. Use it (and its members) respectfully, and theres no limit whet you can learn and do! Good luck.

Bill

• Like 1