APC Forum

JeyJey

๐—ก๐—ฎ๐—บ๐—ฒ ๐—ผ๐—ณ ๐—ฐ๐—ผ๐—บ๐—ฝ๐—ผ๐˜€๐—ถ๐˜๐—ถ๐—ผ๐—ป: J-J's KNO3 red

๐—–๐—ผ๐—บ๐—ฝ๐—ผ๐˜€๐—ถ๐˜๐—ถ๐—ผ๐—ป ๐—ง๐˜†๐—ฝ๐—ฒ: Metallic color

๐—–๐—ฟ๐—ฒ๐—ฎ๐˜๐—ผ๐—ฟ: J-J

๐—–๐—ผ๐—น๐—ผ๐—ฟ/๐—˜๐—ณ๐—ณ๐—ฒ๐—ฐ๐˜: Red

ย 

KNO3 - 20%

SrCO3 - 30

MgAl (325 mesh) - 35%

Parlon - 15%

+ 3% PVB

+ 5% Mg if the Star shows an irregular burning

ย 

๐—ฃ๐—ฟ๐—ฒ๐—ฐ๐—ฒ๐—ฑ๐˜‚๐—ฟ๐—ฒ/๐—ฃ๐—ฟ๐—ฒ๐—ฝ๐—ฎ๐—ฟ๐—ฎ๐˜๐—ถ๐—ผ๐—ป: Mix all ingredience together, screening would be good.

ย 

Use Ethanol as solvent, pumped stars works fine. Drytime 10mm Pumped: 3-4 autumn days.

ย 

The final hard star burns a bit pulsating with a deep red color. I Think the color is very similar to independence red, the burningtime and brightness as well.

ย 

Edited by JeyJey
  • Like 3

• 1 month later...

: J-J's KNO3 red

: Metallic color

: J-J

/: Red

ย 

KNO3 - 20%

SrCO3 - 30

MgAl (325 mesh) - 35%

Parlon - 15%

+ 3% PVB

+ 5% Mg if the Star shows an irregular burning

ย 

/: Mix all ingredience together, screening would be good.

ย 

Use Ethanol as solvent, pumped stars works fine. Drytime 10mm Pumped: 3-4 autumn days.

ย 

The final hard star burns a bit pulsating with a deep red color. I Think the color is very similar to independence red, the burningtime and brightness as well.

ย 

any alternate suggestion for chlorine donor ? rather than parlon. it is difficult to get it in my country

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Since it showed the possibility of oscillatory burning (!) + good color, I tried to make a 10g batch. Not really surprised, but all I got was a smoldering slag blob. Anybody else bother making a test batch?

Instead of pvc and parlon for chlorine donor can you use ammonium chloride?

Both PVC/Parlon are organic fuels; ammonium chloride is not and is an unlikely substitute--the only fuel would be the metal if parlon is omitted.

ย 

Possible unwanted displacement rxns between NH4Cl and other salts, Mumbles? Amm nitrate, if a product of NH4Cl + KNO3 = NH4NO3 + KCl, not a great oxidizer for metallic stars & KCl pretty inert...

ย 

Might try to sub the nitrate out for perc as both oxidizer/chlorine donor.

ย 

Unsure why PCB addition helpful?

ย 

"Mg addition for irregular burning" would suggest incomplete mixing/consolidation or questionable chems, not a formulation issue.

ย 

Unclear if OP used pure(ish) EtOH for a solvent or if water was present...Clarification would be helpful.

Edited by SharkWhisperer

Did you tested stars in shell?

In absence of pot perchlorate or potassium chlorate it seems star wont cathch fire in sky. It seems most of star will blow blind in sky.

• Like 1

Did you tested stars in shell?

In absence of pot perchlorate or potassium chlorate it seems star wont cathch fire in sky. It seems most of star will blow blind in sky.

Swap's got a point. Strontium carbonate is a high-temp oxidizer and it's hard to imagine that formulation even getting ignited at rest using only 20% KNO3 as the initial oxidizer to get things fired up, especially with that much fuel, most metallic.

ย 

Few established star formulations using strontium carbonate contain more than 20% (usually 10-15%), and they usually have 50% or more perc or chlorate as the primary oxidizer.

ย 

***OP's got two Youtube videos of the same thing from a year ago (and no others) with no formulations provided there and the only comments are a few unanswered queries into the composition...starting to question OP's validity given the unlikely utility of the listed comp and failure to respond to thread....alright, now I see this was posted in Oct 2020, with 5 total posts, ffs.

ย 

Please don't bother wasting your time testing this comp, especially given the many proven metallic red star formulations available. And no thanks to the folks that rejuvenated a dead and essentially useless thread, ffs.

Edited by SharkWhisperer

Yeah and carbonates consumes heat from compositions than librate
  • Like 1

This formula works for me.

@robbo i can't explain the failure in your case, are you shure you used the right amount of MgAl?

ย 

@sharkwhisperer

A simple mixture with SrCO3, MgAl an Parlon is able to create a red flare (not useful for making stars, too hard to ignite)

ย 

"Long" story short, your "the value of powdered oxidizer is too low"-theory is wrong.

ย 

The MgAl reacts with oxygen in the air and the nitrate-N(+5)

ย 

ย 

ย 

Another example, which works VERY well, is Buell Red.

He used only 35% KClO4 and 14% MgAl

with, also, an very hight amount (25%) of SrCO3.

ย 

ย 

Every part of missing oxidizer in formula is made up for by an higher amount of reactive metall powder, which, as said, will react with KNO3 AND oxygen.

The exothermic energy is enough for forcing Sr to emit red light.

This formula works for me.

@robbo i can't explain the failure in your case, are you shure you used the right amount of MgAl?

ย 

@sharkwhisperer

A simple mixture with SrCO3, MgAl an Parlon is able to create a red flare (not useful for making stars, too hard to ignite)

ย 

"Long" story short, your "the value of powdered oxidizer is too low"-theory is wrong.

ย 

The MgAl reacts with oxygen in the air and the nitrate-N(+5)

ย 

ย 

ย 

Another example, which works VERY well, is Buell Red.

He used only 35% KClO4 and 14% MgAl

with, also, an very hight amount (25%) of SrCO3.

ย 

ย 

Every part of missing oxidizer in formula is made up for by an higher amount of reactive metall powder, which, as said, will react with KNO3 AND oxygen.

The exothermic energy is enough for forcing Sr to emit red light.

ย 

ย 

ย 

It can work as a flare but not for stars...In preparation process you wrote about pumped stars thats why I just posted about its ignition issue in sky....perchlorate version can work in star.anyway Thank you for discussing your work

• Like 1

JeyJey: I got it working, thanks. I must have made a monumental mistake in the first try. Now, have you noticed what leads to the pulsating? Or tried to increase the vibration instead of decrease it?

The sluggish/inconsistent burning is probably just an artifact of it's formula and choosen chems. The oxygen/fuel balance is way off. Parlon is noted as having a poor/sluggish fuel value. With kno3 as the only oxidizer, its even worse. Iirc pvb is also a poor fuel with kno3. Add in a significant amount of heat sinking material. And the formula as written is probably just struggling to burn.

ย 

The reason why the addition of pure magnesium. Helps with its burning consistency. Is probably due to magnesium being a more reactive fuel (self sustaining).

Edited by Carbon796
  • Like 1

• 5 months later...

It is the MgAl's high reactivity that keeps this formula burning. Otherwise I don't see it going. Used a lot of SrCO3 for organic red with KClO3 in the past. It was nice, although it had this pinky hue to it compared to the bloody red strontium nitrate formulas.