APC Forum

Make second run with first brine

fr3dopyrox

Hello friends,

I want make a second run of potassium chlorate with the first brine, how many grams of potassium chloride I must to add? My first brine was started with 350g of potassium chloride per 1 liter of water déminéralised, thanks and good bye...

How much pot chlorate did you take out?? You will need about 3/4 of the output weight of chlorate of chloride. You could also add chloride til you reach saturation (no more dissolves). OR you could add more chloride until the SG of the solution is what it was when you started the first run.

Running a cell needs constant management! Ultimately you will have a list that shows how much electricity makes how much chlorate out of how much chloride, and how long it will take.

How much pot chlorate did you take out?? You will need about 3/4 of the output weight of chlorate of chloride. You could also add chloride til you reach saturation (no more dissolves). OR you could add more chloride until the SG of the solution is what it was when you started the first run.

Running a cell needs constant management! Ultimately you will have a list that shows how much electricity makes how much chlorate out of how much chloride, and how long it will take.

My first yield for this first run was 110 gr of recrystalised potassium chlorate ...

So try to add about 80g KCl. Maybe see whether the liquid will take more into solution.

The real ratio is (mol wt KCl) divided by (mol wt KClO3 ) multiplied by weight of product removed.

Hello friends,

I want make a second run of potassium chlorate with the first brine, how many grams of potassium chloride I must to add? My first brine was started with 350g of potassium chloride per 1 liter of water déminéralised, thanks and good bye...

If you are not overly concerned about calculating any specific amounts then just saturating the brine with chloride until no more dissolves is about the quickest way of replenishing your electrolyte.

Edited by markx

Hello friends,

If you read through and study the blog "Homegrown Oxidizers Part Four", the topic is discussed in some detail. It isn't all that can be said on the topic, but a good starting point.

See if that doesn't help...

WSM B)

• Like 1

If you read through and study the blog "Homegrown Oxidizers Part Four", the topic is discussed in some detail. It isn't all that can be said on the topic, but a good starting point.

See if that doesn't help...

WSM B)

Omg I dont know you have nice blog like that ,nice job!!I think it is passion for you...

I put the degassing tube in a jar with water outside, is it normal that it does not bubble often, when starting it bubbled quickly. now the jar is at 62-65 degrees celcius and the tube no longer bubbles ... thank you in advance...

Edited by fr3dopyrox

The whole point of the cell is that it can be reused repeatedly without loss. Chlorate out, more chloride in, check level with pure water and go again. It's important to minimise contamination because this will accumulate in the system and may eventually cause problems. Industrially the brine is made in swimming pool size tanks, a little sulphuric acid added and the solution allowed so settle, any sediment (the acid precipitates lead salts) is left behind and the liquor is removed for use.