• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Bigfatorange

Bigfatorange

Playing with fire

• PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 07 October 2020 - 08:36 PM

Does anyone know if I use ping pong balls as NC lacquer in a crackle comp, would it work??

#2 Arthur

Arthur

Firebreather

• HE Qualified
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,297 posts

Posted 08 October 2020 - 01:48 AM

Ping pong balls were NC but some manufacturers changed to something less flammable. So now the only answer is "it depends!".

• MikeL likes this

#3 PRANAB

PRANAB

Playing with fire

• PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 08 October 2020 - 04:07 AM

I have a little knowledge, I think it will help you ...
The ping pong ball which gives camphor smell is good for making NC...
Actually it works for me...
Thanks...😃😃

#4 kingkama

kingkama

Pyromaniac

• PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 08 October 2020 - 05:58 AM

Use phenolic resin is better and less dangerous.
  • Bigfatorange likes this

#5 Bigfatorange

Bigfatorange

Playing with fire

• PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 08 October 2020 - 08:57 AM

And would phenolic resin work for crackle and if yes how would I prep it

#6 Pyrophury

Pyrophury

Pyromaniac

• Donator
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 08 October 2020 - 10:28 AM

I can confirm that celluloid ping pong balls dissolved in acetone will work, but it takes trial and error getting the consistency right.

I've experimented a lot with phenolic resin, in particular to make core-less rolled microstars (can't cut or screen slice with phenolic resin) but I didn't have very satisfactory results and I found the method very difficult and not really practical on a small scale. Far easier to use NC, roll out to desired thickness and push through a mesh screen.

#7 kingkama

kingkama

Pyromaniac

• PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 08 October 2020 - 12:58 PM

I have no problem to cut or granulate or roll, the trick is in use the less phenolic is possible and add a secondary low temp fuel like sulfur, pvb can be also a good binder, I use the pb red oxide, MgAl and cu oxide recipe, I don't use other recipe cause are extremely expensive. So at the end the 10% of NC lacquer can e substitute from phenolic and Sulphur.
Imo if is the first time you do crackling use NC is better cause result is easy to obtain than others binders. NC can be made from hunting shells, bibase powders are all good just add 80 grams of acetone every 10 grams of smokeless powder.

Edited by kingkama, 08 October 2020 - 01:02 PM.

#8 Richtee

Richtee

Firebreather

• Donator - HE
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,700 posts
  • Interests:Electronics and security professional. A fair cook/pitmaster, and bourbon drinker :{)

Posted 09 October 2020 - 03:57 PM

I don’t mind newbie questions, but three different threads IS a tad annoying. Patience and vigilance grasshopper.

• Bigfatorange likes this
I like smoke! On food or in the air equally well.

#9 Bigfatorange

Bigfatorange

Playing with fire

• PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 09 October 2020 - 06:55 PM

Sorry still kinda new to this site next time I will be more careful on double posting

#10 rellim

rellim

Pyromaniac

• PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 10 October 2020 - 03:28 PM

Table tennis balls work just fine for crackle though it's possible that it might make the dough stickier. I weigh out 3% of the composition weight and dissolve it in acetone (it takes a while). Add additional acetone or MEK to get the desired consistency. 

You can get 40 Kevenz balls for around 11 dollars from Amazon.

#11 MadMat

MadMat

Pyrotechnician

• Donator - HE
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 685 posts
  • Interests:Anything scientific.

Posted 11 October 2020 - 05:46 PM

Ping pong balls can be made of two different materials: Cellulose nitrate AKA nitrocellulose (good for making NC lacquer binder) or cellulose acetate (bad for making MC lacquer). I guess fewer and fewer ping pong balls are made of the good stuff anymore. I simply go to a sporting goods store that sell reloading supplies and buy Green Dot Smokeless power. By doing this, you will be rewarded with something that gives good consistent results. Do not be concerned if green dot powder doesn't dissolve in acetone immediately; Sometimes, it can take a little while. If you can't find Green Dot, any double-base smokeless powder will do. If you have too many choices, always pick the powder designed for reloading shotgun shells. This powder is shaped like flakes as opposed to rifle powder, which is shaped like tiny rods. The flakes dissolve easier than the rods

Edited by MadMat, 11 October 2020 - 05:50 PM.

#12 rellim

rellim

Pyromaniac

• PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 20 October 2020 - 05:26 PM

2% dextrin will bind crackle. The composition is very dense due to the heavy metal oxides so 2% is plenty.

• kingkama likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users