APC Forum

Good source for basics on formula explanations.

walran

OK I am a hillbilly pyro which means that I am new to this field though I have made explosives since I was a teen and kept my fingers. You know a teaspoon this, tablespoon that pinch of...You get the idea, real science ;)

At 57 I am interested again and need the break from the office chair routine and since I like things that smoke, go bang, reactive targets etc. I am wanting to learn some new skills.

Looking on the recipe's here on site I get a little (lot) confused because there are some that say "one part this and three parts that" while others say 12% sulfur 17% nitrate you get the idea. How do you tie this together?

For example on making reactive targets you can shoot with a .22 one member put down his favorite recipe:

1.5 antimony trisufide, 1.5 dark Al and 7 perc.

For the newbie how would you read that? Grams, parts, etc.? I am at a loss as to how I would take that and put it to use if say I wanted to do my typical 1lb exploding target.

One other person suggested the attached Shimizu#3 for targets.

I have several books I bought recently but they are so in depth it feels like you need to be a chemical engineer to read them and they assume you already know this stuff :(

I am sure that somewhere there is a great explanation for how to read all this. (maybe somewhere here on this site?)

"ANY" suggestions or directions would be very helpful.

Per cent is simply the weight percentage of each component -then you have to calculate how much you want and work out the % of each ingredient and how much that %age weighs, usually a formula adds up to 100 BUT sometimes there are +%ages (usually the binder) so 75% +15% +10% +3% dextrin.

Parts is a random quantity, "parts" formulae don't always add to 100. YOU have to decide how much to make and divide that by the total number of parts then that is the weight of one part for that particular batch.

Learn to weigh carefully and cleanly

1.5 + 1.5 + 7 gives you 10 so to make 10g then 1.5 is 1.5g and 7 is 7g

To keep your fingers work as small as possible and handle chems cleanly.

• Like 2

Well said Sir, and thanks. I had just answered a PM from him with the info as well, and dire warnings ;)

• Like 1

Thank you I really appreciate it and look forward to using it!

I know with the regular Tannerite you just shake it up in a mixing bottle and you are good to go. Sounds like this is a little more sensitive.

• 2 months later...

The units of the ratios etc. are kinda important

isn't sensitivity something you need to be aware of.

Edited by Smokelvr