APC Forum

Chipboard replacement for cylinder shells caps

SignalKanboom

Real chipboard is expensive these days. I know fulcanelli says use chipboard, but I have been wondering if taking several card stock discs and glueing them together would be fine? This is how tube plugs are made by hand can I do that with Kraft or card stock, or is there a reason chip board absolutely needs to be used in cylinder shells?

If your in the U.S. look for a product called Ramboard. In an ace,HD or lowes. It's usually in the building or painting section. It's about a 1/16 inch thick, and can be stacked and glued. Its not as tough/strong as chip board. But, once stacked and glued, its definitely serviceable for most stuff.

Are you looking for specific sizes ? Disks aren't too hard to find, premade from chipboard.

Edited by Carbon796

If your in the U.S. look for a product called Ramboard. In an ace,HD or lowes. It's usually in the building or painting section. It's about a 1/16 inch thick, and can be stacked and glued. Its not as tough/strong as chip board. But, once stacked and glued, its definitely serviceable for most stuff.

Are you looking for specific sizes ? Disks aren't too hard to find, premade from chipboard.

I am in the learning phase and I make everything I use. Purchasing pre-made is not viable, as shipping is killer. If I become pro I will have a reason to order supplies.

Pyrotechnics was a childhood dream that was never realized. I Didnt have anyone to tell me you could make fireworks by hand and that it was art. I was given a hard time for being obsessed. I was looked at like I was a menace, or I liked fire too much. I didnt have the vocabulary, or the knowledge to explain that it was art. Now I know that and can explain, but life took a different direction.

Chip board is too much 4mm cardboard (2 or 3 foil glued together) can be a good way of making. In fulcanelli or Italian style the topic is on stringing the paper is important but not as the glued consumer canister shell you buy.
  • Like 1

Foil Glue? I tried to look this up and all I get is fingernail stuff. Is this the same type you're speaking of?

Chip board is too much 4mm cardboard (2 or 3 foil glued together) can be a good way of making. In fulcanelli or Italian style the topic is on stringing the paper is important but not as the glued consumer canister shell you buy.

The glued consumer shell is a canister shell.

The American/Italian shell is a cylinder shell.

Comparing the two, is like the proverbial apple's and orange's. Their just a similar shape. I wouldn't rely on gluing up layers of corrugated cardboard. To build cylinder shells of any notable size.

There seems to be some wires crossed here. Glueing up sheets of thinner chipboard to use for end disks is fine. For a cheap source look for hard cover books or 3 ring binders at yard sales or good will or anywhere you can find them cheap.

Chipboard for use as a case liner is meant to be thin, and not glued. The liner is only meant to alter the size of the case so that comets or inserts fit well.

• Like 1

All I have ever made are cylinder shells. I have experimented with a number of things for the end disks. I have used the cardboard from "cubes" of drink cans or twelve packs. I have had decent success with these if I glue three or four layers together. IT is important that these disks are clamped flat and secure until the glue is dry. I have used the very heavy cardboard taken out of the covers of old books or three ring binders with good success as well. I will probably take some heat about the first thing I mentioned but, I will still say I get very good burst patterns using those end disks

I'm a fan of rinfasciature sistem, no glue on paper but only on twine for spiking, i use recycled cardboard from water pallet, also for end disks or for inside liner, two or 3 turns of craft paper and this is more than it's needed for shell casing, spiking in accordance with the caliber, other 2 o3 turns of craft another spiking end of shell. No need for gluing other papers on if you made a good spiking around the spolette, so why use wood for end disks, consider the fall-out on your head and on the head of who come to see your show... Can be a diaaster if a splint reaches the eyes of someone or the head of some other.

I like all of the Italian techniques. I didnt know that American cylinder shells were different. I figured American shells just mirrored Italian shells, not that they were their own type of shells. I have only seen officials tutorials/manuals for Italian shells (fulcanelli).
  • Like 1

Fulcanelli is American/Italian cylinder shells. It is basic/minimum techniques, for price list type shells. That would be sold/used for public displays, in the U.S. When Italian families migrated to the U.S. and continued to build their Italian styled shells. They became American/Italian styled shells. The styles of shells that they currently build in Italy are noticeably different than what current U.S. hobbyist build, though they are both cylinder shells. Edited by Carbon796

Fulcanelli is American/Italian cylinder shells. It is basic/minimum techniques, for price list type shells. That would be sold/used for public displays, in the U.S. When Italian families migrated to the U.S. and continued to build their Italian styled shells. They became American/Italian styled shells. The styles of shells that they currently build in Italy are noticeably different than what current U.S. hobbyist build, though they are both cylinder shells.

Thank you for that distinction. Is there any other literature, or manuals like fulcanelli?

For cylinders shells, in English, not anything that is really, more " current ", correct, or complete. Edited by Carbon796

For cylinders shells, in English, not anything that is really, more " current ", correct, or complete.

Thats a shame, its a beautiful thing how shells are made.

I like all of the Italian techniques. I didnt know that American cylinder shells were different. I figured American shells just mirrored Italian shells, not that they were their own type of shells. I have only seen officials tutorials/manuals for Italian shells (fulcanelli).

It's like you said, ie fulcanelli condensed all Italians styles of fireworks making, throwing out a personal wiew and a well explained manual for teaching the basis.

At the end I visited many factory, in onw its way anyone do the thing like they think are well done, so the only real difference between fireworks are : cakes (modern invention which permits to anyone to belive he is a Pyrothecnic) cylindrical (Italia,Maltese, South America and somehow north) ballshell (all the world) said this all factory use all this device in all country, so at the end, excluding the safety rules in mixing substances, anyone can do fireworks like he think it's a good way, using the materials who he thinks are well suited for. The end line of this game is to have fun or Deserve the money which someone pay to you for a show. Anything else is only a bunch of talks.