Jump to content


Photo
- - - - -

6 Inches Shell With Strobe And Multibreak


  • Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 MinamotoKobayashi

MinamotoKobayashi

    Pyrotechnician

  • Donator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 276 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 13 September 2020 - 09:07 PM

Hello.

After a long pause I built my first 1,7KG multibreak 6" shell powered by a 400mm lenght BP rocket.

I used a reusable aluminum 30mm tube diameter, 2mm wall thickness, filled by a mix of classic 75-15-10 hot BP added with a 4% of phenolic resin,

slightly wetted with few grams of bio-ethanol 95°, pressed at 8000 PSI and dried for some hours in my electric dehydratator.

I done so to completely eliminate the fuel relaxation and to obtain a propellant hard like a stone.

The delay was made with the same mix plus 20% of 225-450µm Titanium sponge.

The hole was carefully drilled with a depth of 325mm and a diameter of 12mm with the help of a custom handmade tool

that permit me to make holes perfectly centered and parallel to the host.

With a conical cutter I also drilled a fake nozzle to create an enhanced exhaust.

 

First of all, gluing a lot of Titanium sponge with Titebound glue around the inner walls of the 2" hemises:

50339753106_d2cd52d4f2_b.jpg

 

Half filling the shells with flash powder (Allen flash #3 formula) plus some grams of rice hulls, pasting it and creating crossmatched time fuses.

For this purpose I used some pieces of small fuses found inside a flat passfire fuses:

50339064728_a8c80c02e8_b.jpg

 

Placing the small 2" shells completely dried and hardened inside the two 6" hemises:

50339908962_dbaf882748_b.jpg

 

Placing a lot of small strobe stars (Shimizu formula) primed with Monocapa (replaced MgAl with German Dark and red gum with phenolic resin):

50339064463_f3eb7e62e8_b.jpg

 

Filling the hemises with enhanced coated rice hulls (5 layers of hot BP and two layers of KP).

I wasn't able to use the classical tissue paper method due to the presence of the six 2" shells:

50339908717_20f7438efa_b.jpg

 

Putting a lot of dragon eggs (Kaotch formula):

50339752331_6d983e37b6_b.jpg

 

Closing the 6" hemises and perfectly pasting them adopting the NeighborJ method:

50339064178_6d027389c7_b.jpg

 

Rocket finished and ready to be launched (it is indicated by the arrow ... the other rockets are already ready for the next 2021 LOL):

50339063928_af0cb4a731_b.jpg

 

And finally the launch:

 

This firework was nice but had some issues:

1. Break too high, it appears too small for a 6" shell, dragon eggs not audible;

2. Two of the six 2" shells was not ignited, I dunno why because all the shells was made exactly in the same way and placed correctly.

 

 

That's all!


Edited by MinamotoKobayashi, 13 September 2020 - 10:16 PM.

  • sora likes this

#2 Zmuro

Zmuro

    Pyrotechnician

  • Full Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 371 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:EU

Posted 14 September 2020 - 12:04 AM

Nevertheless, beautiful shell. It looks like your motors are to strong for 6" shell, but I guess the header itself didn't weigh 1,5kg. I like that you document every step of building process, which can be used as tutorial for others, so thank you :)



#3 kingkama

kingkama

    Pyromaniac

  • Full Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 16 September 2020 - 01:22 PM

Caotch formula, can you share?

#4 MinamotoKobayashi

MinamotoKobayashi

    Pyrotechnician

  • Donator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 276 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 16 September 2020 - 04:25 PM

Hello Kingkama.

It's better that You ask him the formula by PM ...



#5 kingkama

kingkama

    Pyromaniac

  • Full Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 17 September 2020 - 02:00 AM

I cant find him

#6 Mumbles

Mumbles

    Grandmaster

  • Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,628 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Above You

Posted 17 September 2020 - 08:04 AM

Try spelling it with a K.  "Kaotch"


  • kingkama likes this
Just so you guys quit asking, here is the link to the old forum. http://www.xsorbit2....forum/index.cgi

The sky is my canvas, and I have 2,113 pounds of powdered paint in the workshop.

#7 kingkama

kingkama

    Pyromaniac

  • Full Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted Today, 08:40 AM

I find but he doesn't want share,


so thanks to mumbles to the right spelling, i will endure on my mix with alcohol solvent and change some variables, to obtain a crakling and not a big boom (my mix works in 3x3 mm pieces but are suitable only for dragon flowers)

Edited by kingkama, Today, 08:53 AM.





0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users