• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#21 snapper

snapper

Playing with fire

• PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 10 September 2020 - 11:41 PM

august used us made mag and aluminum in his stuff, the suppliers sell chicom made magal thats full of impurities from using melted down scrap. I think august cast small ingots, broke them up with a hammer then used a blender to make the chunks small enough to go into a mini hammer mill. sulfur is used to flux the melted aluminum before adding the mag to reduce the flame up. pouring liquid metal into water is asking for a explosion, doing it with mag or a mag blend please record it for our entertainment. 

#22 Arthur

Arthur

Firebreather

• HE Qualified
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,268 posts

Posted 11 September 2020 - 01:42 AM

ebay.com 373201187898 

or search Magnesium ingot.

#23 Crazy Swede

Crazy Swede

Pyromaniac

• PipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 11 September 2020 - 01:51 AM

august used us made mag and aluminum in his stuff, the suppliers sell chicom made magal thats full of impurities from using melted down scrap. I think august cast small ingots, broke them up with a hammer then used a blender to make the chunks small enough to go into a mini hammer mill. sulfur is used to flux the melted aluminum before adding the mag to reduce the flame up. pouring liquid metal into water is asking for a explosion, doing it with mag or a mag blend please record it for our entertainment. 

Are you sure about that? Both aluminium and magnesium reacts strongly exothermic with sulfur.

#24 Mumbles

Mumbles

Grandmaster

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,628 posts

Posted 11 September 2020 - 10:34 AM

Sulfur also boils 200C below the melting point of either Mg or Al. 

Just so you guys quit asking, here is the link to the old forum. http://www.xsorbit2....forum/index.cgi

The sky is my canvas, and I have 2,113 pounds of powdered paint in the workshop.

#25 Dylman

Dylman

Playing with fire

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • Interests:Pyro, Hobby pyro, Architecture, Drafting & Design

Posted 14 September 2020 - 06:29 PM

I watched a video a few days ago by the Elemental Maker. I believe he used charcoal to somehow quench the reaction he used during cooling.

#26 a_bab

a_bab

Pyrotechnician

• PipPipPipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 15 September 2020 - 12:47 AM

Some clarifications:

1. Pouring magnalium in water: no problem, as long as the bucket is large and you don't pour at once. To stay on the safe side it needs to be at least 20 water volumes for a volume of molten metal.
2. Sulphur as flux: NO WAY. Your magnalium will stink like a bad fart forever and ever. I don't know who came up with this idea but it's really bad.

Aluminium / magnesium sulphides will form and these would decompose to slowly give off the stinky H2S.
Charcoal dust does it better and it won't interfere in any way.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users