APC Forum

My new Star Roller

PyroGround

I've been making rolled stars by hand for about a year. The technique I have been using is good, if you don´t want to spend money (only a bucket is needed). But to make a 100 g batch I had to spend more than an hour in the process. So I surfed on Internet to find how to make one of this gadgets. I discovered that wiper motors have the perfect speed for this purpose. So I bought one of them for 20 bucks, I picked up a few pieces of wood and I built my own star roller in a day. Here some photos of it.

The frame is very simple: A pair of wood triangles with a 45º angle side, and another wood panel, where a carpenter's square is screwed. This square holds the motor creating a perfect angle to roll the stars.

As you can see in this photo, the motor is connected directly to the bucket.

I connected the motor to a toy car charging transformer. It transforms the 230V current in 12V, so I can use the motor.
And finally, here is how it works.

Star Roller 5

Edited by PyroGround
  • Like 1

When I click on the video link I get this:

post-22685-0-00573900-1599283702_thumb.png

ese recipiente delata que has tenido una mala experiencia a la hora de hacer estrellas, no te preocupes, que es lo mas normal cuando se empieza con este método, a partir de ahora iras mejorando con la práctica .

• Like 1

ese recipiente delata que has tenido una mala experiencia a la hora de hacer estrellas, no te preocupes, que es lo mas normal cuando se empieza con este método, a partir de ahora iras mejorando con la práctica .

Si es verdad jajaja, tengo que pillarle el truco al aparato. Pero supongo que a la hora de usarlo siempre se quedara algo pegado al cubo, no?

no se debe de pegar nada, cuando terminas la rodada el cubo debe quedar limpio, con practica lo conseguirás

• Like 1

PyroGround,

Thank you! Video plays well with nice sound!

Your design and choice of motor is effective and inexpensive.

Edited by SeaMonkey
  • Like 1

Pyroground nice little roller. Seemed to work well

Yeah, it works very good! I'm doing some batches for new year with this roller. I will start on October, and I will upload some photos and videos of the proccess

• 1 month later...
Anyone ever make a star roller out of a stand up fan? I think it would be perfect because you can tilt it up and down and it the has different speed settings. Only asking because I have a fan roommate left behind and want to put it use.

Anything with an open brushed motor, like most fans, are often dangerous for applications such as these where flammable powders are likely to be generated. That said, household fans often also have very little torque as well.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
@pyroground the windshield wiper usually goes back and forth right, how did you make it to go in circles non-stop? It will be very helpful if you can post a detailed step by step process as I am looking for ideas to make one , Thanks.
  • Like 1

@pyroground the windshield wiper usually goes back and forth right, how did you make it to go in circles non-stop? It will be very helpful if you can post a detailed step by step process as I am looking for ideas to make one , Thanks.

The motor turns an eccentric. The eccentric makes the wiper go back and forth

• Like 2

The motor goes in circle non-stop. I did not make any mod to it.
  • Like 1

Thank you understood, another question how is the motor held in place? is it just screwed to the board or is it glued? The reason I am asking is I don't any provisions in the motor to fix it in that 45° angle.

Thank you understood, another question how is the motor held in place? is it just screwed to the board or is it glued? The reason I am asking is I don't any provisions in the motor to fix it in that 45° angle.

You're joking, right? How do you hold any other motor in place? C'mon, my friend, you're not instilling a lot of confidence in your abilities to work with energetic compounds if this simple task eludes you...

There are many, many video tutorials on converting a windshield wiper motor into a star roller. Please do some very basic background research. If you have questions or difficulties, we'll help you troubleshoot the issue, but this level of naivety is both dangerous to you and worrisome to others.

Edited by SharkWhisperer
  • Like 1

What did you use to make the bucket? Where can i get one?

• 3 months later...

Very well done, I myself have spent hours making a small batch of stars and want to expand operations to increase output in a shorter period of time. Have seen this concept and all that have have made stars this way had great success with it. It will "get er done"

• 2 months later...

Anything with an open brushed motor, like most fans, are often dangerous for applications such as these where flammable powders are likely to be generated. That said, household fans often also have very little torque as well.

Most small household fans have no brushes, or other spark-producing components as they are powered by Shaded Pole Motors:

The shaded-pole motor is the original type of AC single-phase induction motor, dating back to at least as early as 1890.[1] A shaded-pole motor is a small squirrel-cage motor in which the auxiliary winding is composed of a copper ring or bar surrounding a portion of each pole.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...