APC Forum

Your favorite fast burning go-getter compositions

dangerousamateur

Like usual, I need more thrust.

The brilliant rubber formulas are not very fast burning, The greens and reds are perfect though.

Can you point me to some similar formulas with more power?

The same question for glitters:

I looking for something burns FAST, but must have a nice trail anyway.

Ideally a very long trail with long delay of the spritzels, but the burnrate and thrust of the composition itself must be quick. Any suggestions what to use?

And if you like to share details, how processed, which charcoal, ballmilled yes or no...

I was told and it worked to replace some of the perchlorate with chlorate. I did this starting at 10% and went from there. You would have to dial it in to your own liking. I did this with the NX colors and worked fine. Using them for go getters and some small rockets. Edited by Bigmark

Another thing you can do is to use finer MgAl in your go-getters. It will spice them up. Similarly, adding magnesium instead of MgAl should also help out.

With the glitters, I'd look into something that is based on meal powder instead of components. They'll burn faster and cleaner. In my experience this tends to shorten the tail and make the glitter a little "cleaner" too, which I don't usually love. Milling the KNO3/C/S and maybe carbonate components will accomplish something similar. You might want to play around with milling time depending on your components, or perhaps dosing in some portion of meal in replacement of the BP components.

I worked with chlorate in the past, but I dont like to have it contaminate my working area, tools screens and so on. And I remember them not to be very fast...

I am using 325mesh mgal, thats the finest i have. Magnesium is to moisture sensitive for me, and it degrades so fast. I dont like it.

Ned suggests a nitrate only formula. Are there some formulas that are known to be very fast?

Are the spanish pdf colors much faster than the brilliant rubber formulas?

As a teen in the early 50s I made a fast composition with Potassium Chlorate

and Charcoal. The mix was about 75% Chlorate and 25% Charcoal. The

charcoal I used at the time was from the Druggist so it must have been

Activated which generally is a poor charcoal for pyro powders, but with

Chlorate was quite different. Chlorate was from the Druggist too and he

charged me 15 cents per ounce.

I mixed the ingredients in small quantities with a Mortar and Pestle and

never experienced any friction induced ignition.

I used the powder in home-made firecrackers with good effect.

I hate magnesium.

And chlorate charcoal mixtures... I know H3. I do not find it much faster as good blackpowder. Maybe faster under pressure.

I will do some experimentation.

Edited by dangerousamateur