APC Forum

Golden Path Glitter

yannismanesis

Name of composition: Golden Path

Composition Type: Glitter/Metal Streamer

Creator: Yannis Manesis

Color/Effect: Thick yellowish-golden tail with branching golden sparks. The glittering in this composition has a different mechanism than usual glitters, and comes from the branching of FeTi sparks as they heat up when consumed by molten drops of oxidiser or sulfur. A subtle but beautiful effect, in my opinion.

The Composition: (by weight)

Sodium Nitrate (NaNO3) - 61%

Charcoal (airfloat) - 14%

FerroTitanium (FeTi) 40-80mesh - 9%

Sulfur - 11%

Dextrin - 5%

Any Precautions/Incompatabilities: This composition is relatively safe. Wear a dust mask or a respirator when working with dry composition.

Procedure/Preparation: After weighing, like to screen the mix a minimum of three (3) times, before mixing in the FeTi with something like a wooden dowel/stick or a wooden spoon. Stars from this mixture can be cut, that's the way I usually make them, being the fastest way I can make them with what tools I have. Rolling and pumping/pressing would be fine.

Video coming soon.

Edited by yannismanesis
  • Like 1

Here's the second test of these stars in a 2inch cylindrical shell. They didn't glitter like the first time, but you can get a general idea of the effect. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqfa0BVZ2s4&feature=youtu.be

Edited by yannismanesis

This is modified version of classical Brocade Crown composition. Why did you call it Glitter/Metal Streamer? Branching golden sparks can be seen only from short distance (in fountain)! Creator: Yannis Manesis - this sounds me funny )))))

This is modified version of classical Brocade Crown composition. Why did you call it Glitter/Metal Streamer? Branching golden sparks can be seen only from short distance (in fountain)! Creator: Yannis Manesis - this sounds me funny )))))

Brocade Crown has a waay different oxidizer to fuel ratio. Also, this is how Greek names sound and are spelt. As for the branching, you can't see the individual branches like you could see in a fountain, but from a distance it looks like glittering.

• Like 1

Also, with almost a millenium of history in Pyrotechnics, one could argue that most pyrotechnic compositions are modifications of another compositions.