APC Forum

Tool Ideas needed

Jsefcik4958

Hey guys need some help, im looking for a way/idea on how to fill tubes with black powder for our cannon we use on the forth... cannon goes off tube comes out and black powder makes a good pop... but i need to fill alot of tubes.... any tools or ideas how to do this?

Is the "tube" loaded with the Black Powder charge for the cannon,

or,

is the cannon loaded with Black Powder then the tube is inserted

and fired like a projectile salute that then explodes some distance

away?

I'm not getting the gist of your question.

If the tube contains the Black Powder charge for the cannon, is

the tube a hard tube or a soft tube? Is the tube consumed in

the process or does it survive the shot?

It explodes in the air. A little bp is put in the cannon before hand ... when let the tube is shot into the sky... but i wanna fill this cardboard tubes with black powder is a quick way... i shoot it alot so i want someway to just fill a ton of them at once

Have you designed a timing mechanism? How will the tube survive being shot from the cannon without leaking fire to the payload? I think some prototyping is in order before scale up.

What this sounds like to me: hi, I want to know how I can make a bunch of salutes real fast. But don't worry, I'm making them with BP.

You're basically looking to make small insert shells. A gang press and shift plate for filling are what you need.

The usual way of measuring powder is with a small scoop, Try a homewares shop for a set of measuring spoons of 1/4 teaspoon to 1 tablespoon. Guide the measured powder with a small funnel. If you need more then use a bigger scoop. Getting the design inc the fusing sorted and finding the right tubes and plugs may be limiting with the short time you have allowed yourself. Most times items want to be in a finished box for a week to let all the gums and glues fully harden. All my failures have been through rushed glue joints not reaching full strength before firing.

The amount and quality of woodwork needed would be a waste of the few days before the 4th. With aspoon and funnel you should get a tube loaded in under two seconds. Then the glue should have time to dry.

try a funnel and a measuring scoop. the other option is a jig to hold the tubes and a slide dispenser you fill and it sets on top of the jigged tubes like what you see the manufacturers use to load cakes.