APC Forum

Black powder mortar

Pyro55

It's hard to tell how long the mortar is. I see you're using pyrodex. If you have a good enough mortar Smokeless might be a better way to go.

BTW, where did you get that?

• 4 months later...
I remember before I moved to Texas I did Civil War reanactments (the true start of my interest in pyro) and we had one of those. Deadman they're about 10 to 15 inches deep (ours was anyway) we shot fire starters plugs (to build the peasure and you can't just take them and shove them in there) and black powder basicly an off brand Pyrodex. It was loud, the loudes artilery pieces I have ever heard (Parrot rifle, Mountain Higlatcer). I know I spelled them wrong.

• 3 months later...
Wow, for a small guy like that it is pretty loud... And I just love the way you make them go. Do you pull a string? If yes tell ou how you did it... Thanks

Wow, for a small guy like that it is pretty loud... And I just love the way you make them go. Do you pull a string? If yes tell ou how you did it... Thanks

I pull the string so that metal stick can hit the firing pin and set off the blank shot which ignites the BP.

On a semi-related note, here is a BP salute mortar I am interested in buying:  http://www.cannonthunder.com/aboutus.html

If I was to buy gunpowder solely based on the noise in the mortar, which one should I go with?

EDIT- Just noticed right now, I registered 2 years from today.  Damn, does time fly.

First, happy "birthday". :D

Next, I suspect you'll want to start with the coarsest powder you can get.

However, I'd email them and ask which powder brands and granulations they've used and recommend.

• 6 months later...
On a semi-related note, here is a BP salute mortar I am interested in buying: http://www.cannonthunder.com/aboutus.html

If I was to buy gunpowder solely based on the noise in the mortar, which one should I go with?

EDIT- Just noticed right now, I registered 2 years from today. Damn, does time fly.

So, did you ever buy it and if so how was it? I saw the same sight awhile ago and thought it might be fun.