APC Forum

Best Titanium for Stars/Rockets/Gerbs

Guest PyroManiac1

Guest PyroManiac1

I am looking for a type of titanium that I will get the most use out of. I am fond of a little hang time but not so much that my stars will hit the ground. I would also like to add a little titanium to my black powder rockets, maybe 3%. I am looking for a bright white to contrast the orange sparks of black powder. I would love a long tail for my rockets. I can get any one of the powders on this link.

https://www.skylighter.com/search?q=Titanium*&type=article,page,product

Edited by PyroManiac1

Alluminium will be better than titanium nor most cheap, but you have to go on 325 granular or atomized and add a little of perchlorate to the mix. I think 8% of Al and 10% of perchlorate will works if they come out too fast add Charcoal and sulfur.

It sounds like you want medium to fine mesh sponge or spherical. Sponge is probably better for stars spherical maybe a little gentler on tooling if pressing. Really though it depends on the effect you want and star size.

There are those that say the spherical is safer for ramming. It also tends to be available as surplus and therefore cheaper.

Remember that when it comes to effects, there is no right or wrong, its whatever you find pleasing.

Try to get some of each and try them out. That can be a lot of fun all by itself. Also keep an eye out for sales, group buys, and people blowing out their extras. Last time I bough Ti it was because it was $3 a pound and I couldn't say no.

FYI I would recommend none of the stuff skylighter has in stock. I would suggest something like -40 sponge or spherical. Other vendors have it in stock.

Edited by davidh

Guest PyroManiac1
Thanks for your replies everyone. Do you think the 20-200 mesh spherical and flake would be too coarse for rockets? I know it will give me a long tail.

The problem with titanium is that it destroys common tooling especially rocket spindles. The problem with metals in general is that they should be pressed not rammed.

For rockets I'd prefer aluminium or risk risk titanium cutting the tool. Ti turnings will definitely damage the spindle and maybe jam the whole tool. Pressing is safer for comps with metals, do you have a press?

Several folk have had titanium flakes or turnings get between the plug and sleeve of the tool and had to scrap everything, including trying to make the enclosed comp safe.

Nothing like trying to get your rammer unstuck. For an hour or two. Good time's good time's lol. Learnt my lesson on that.

Guest PyroManiac1
I actually improvise my rocket tooling. I drill my motors, no spindle, I use a cheap wooden dowel to ram with. I am willing to risk my "tooling". So I guess I'll go for that spherical and flake then? That will work good in a small 2 ounce to a 1 pound rocket?

When you add Ti to rockets for a rising tail, use RP without Ti right up to the tip of the spindle, and _then_ start using RP with Ti. You will get practically the same effect with little chance of a Ti-induced problem.

Edited by davidh
  • Like 1

Davidh,

You've just given us a good example of "experience" which provides

a simple lower risk solution to a potential problem. :D :)

Edited by SeaMonkey

ya dont really want to drill ti comp. it can spark

I get the most use from a -30+60 particle size of sponge. It's what's used for Flaming Sh*t stars and makes a great tail effect for rockets. FYI: That's a Westfall rocket. My cruddy camera 10+ years ago could not capture the full effect.

https://www.amateurpyro.com/forums/topic/3174-flaming-shit-falls-on-you/

Edited by FrankRizzo

I'm pretty certain that there is no Ti in flaming shit stars. There is course MgAl, but no Ti.

• 1 month later...

There are those that say the spherical is safer for ramming. It also tends to be available as surplus and therefore cheaper.

Remember that when it comes to effects, there is no right or wrong, its whatever you find pleasing.

Try to get some of each and try them out. That can be a lot of fun all by itself. Also keep an eye out for sales, group buys, and people blowing out their extras. Last time I bough Ti it was because it was $3 a pound and I couldn't say no.

FYI I would recommend none of the stuff skylighter has in stock. I would suggest something like -40 sponge or spherical. Other vendors have it in stock.

Get your sponge Ti from Chris at FWC. He's apparently stopped selling a variety of mesh ranges (for now at least), but he does sell a decent one that you can sift yourself-- -20+80 for $15/lb, which is reasonably priced. I've used his tighter meshed stuff, but it cost an extra $3/lb. Good stuff. Must be a pain in the ass to parcel, hence his lowered inventory.

Spherical Ti you can find all over, but Phil at ihaveadotcom.com is where I get mine--haven't been disappointed. That said, the size range is highly variable, meaning you might need to screen it for yourself to get the ranges you prefer. no biggie. Just don't force metal through delicate screens--gently tap the remnants back from where they came from.

I'd be surprised if you find yourself disappointed with either vendor, though their mesh sizes might not 100% match what you're aiming for.

Enjoy!

When you add Ti to rockets for a rising tail, use RP without Ti right up to the tip of the spindle, and _then_ start using RP with Ti. You will get practically the same effect with little chance of a Ti-induced problem.

David, my pyro brother. Just an observation that, given all the chem and comp abbreviations we pyros use, "RP" might not stand out to a newbie as "rocket propellant" :=} Hell, who knows what a new kid might decipher that as??? I can't think of any scary ones offhand, but somebody will, invariably.

I agree, it should be plainly obvious, but we're not always dealing with Nobel prize contestants.

Just sayin', ain't bitchin'.

I use spherical 450 -1000 um that gives you a nice tail

That's about 18-40 mesh range (approximately) for those of us who are more familiar with screen mesh sizes versus micron metrics, and is a pretty common size for reasonably bushy rocket tails.

David, my pyro brother. Just an observation that, given all the chem and comp abbreviations we pyros use, "RP" might not stand out to a newbie as "rocket propellant" :=} Hell, who knows what a new kid might decipher that as??? I can't think of any scary ones offhand, but somebody will, invariably.

I agree, it should be plainly obvious, but we're not always dealing with Nobel prize contestants.

Just sayin', ain't bitchin'.

Aha, of course--RP could be confused with red phosporous, hah ha! Yikes!