APC Forum

True risks of 7:3 flash KCIO4-flake

BirdPlaneNoAMicrowavee

Well lets start off with Ive been making flash on and off for a few years now. So definitely not a professional. Using 7:3 perchlorate with different types of flake al only. And this may just sound stupid but I feel like some over exaggerate the true risks of a more stable flash (This is sort of good to detour beginners who think it has little to no risk at all). People say its Static, heat, and impact sensitive yet I have to disagree to an extent. Ive taken >.5g of flash and set up different tests, pored hot glue over it, hit a small amount with a hammer on a brick, and rubbed some with a ballon (stupid test yes). Never has any of that ever set it off. Hell the other day I was making some to euthanize this tree on my property and I tested small amounts in open air, my long bbq lighter would not even ignite it. It was strange but fuse did. I still ground myself and am not a idiot while mixing but I fell like if using perchlorate its actually impressively stable for what it is. Am I wrong?

david maybe just say that your not interested in flash , thats great . im getting ready to make some bottom shots 100 gram not big also making a bunch of crossetts. also in the future some inserts that will have flash

Well lets start off with Ive been making flash on and off for a few years now. So definitely not a professional. Using 7:3 perchlorate with different types of flake al only. And this may just sound stupid but I feel like some over exaggerate the true risks of a more stable flash (This is sort of good to detour beginners who think it has little to no risk at all). People say its Static, heat, and impact sensitive yet I have to disagree to an extent. Ive taken >.5g of flash and set up different tests, pored hot glue over it, hit a small amount with a hammer on a brick, and rubbed some with a ballon (stupid test yes). Never has any of that ever set it off. Hell the other day I was making some to euthanize this tree on my property and I tested small amounts in open air, my long bbq lighter would not even ignite it. It was strange but fuse did. I still ground myself and am not a idiot while mixing but I fell like if using perchlorate its actually impressively stable for what it is. Am I wrong?

there must have been other factors at work . your lighter should have no problem setting 70/30 flash off. don't get lax while making flash. that shit will bite you

'

Lots of people care about flash but not lots of people want to talk about it because it is arguably the most dangerous and most abused composition in pyrotechnics. It's also about the easiest to make. Most flash questions on the forum seem to come from relatively inexperienced people who often seem to be looking for reassurance that what they're doing is ok rather than having genuine questions about safe practices or an interest in building devices beyond boomers. I think this is probably what David was getting at. There's not much to say about making flash that hasn't already been discussed ad nauseam.

I agree with memo, if a lighter didn't ignite your flash there's something going on.

As for the "exaggerated risks" I'll say this. Risk is a function of probability and impact. The impact of an accidental ignition of flash powder is, at best, severe injury, and quite possibly death. Suggesting that the probability or possibility of accidental ignition is overblown doesn't change the impact, but it might decrease the level of respect and caution someone uses when dealing with flash. Yes, for as powerful as it is flash is relatively stable, and it demands respect and not fear. However, downplaying the dangers of mixing flash can only have a negative impact. Since we can't control the outcome of accidental ignition we can only do everything possible to mitigate that possibility, and the bigger that safety margin the better.

• Like 1

Perhaps not wrong. But, around my neighborhood we call this “poking the bear”. You should not EVER poke the bear. Don’t push the common accepted advice in this endeavor. Nothing good will come of it. I don’t care how many times you hit a pile of Vitamin F with a sledge..I’m certainly not going to do it. And alot of us will think you a fool for doing so.

My 2 cents.

Edited by Richtee
  • Like 1

It has bitten me and I respect it. The sensitivity of the flash has a lot of different variables the finer your aluminum and perc the easier it is to set off and the more powerful it is. I once had trouble getting some to light I was experimenting with for photography not noise. I got confident it wouldn't do anything let my guard down and it lit when I was close. It was a full arms length away and the little pile burnt me terribly my first four finger on my right had the flesh was crispy like bacon an you could couldn't bend the charred skin it made a tapping noise if it hit something. I lost a lot of the skin on my hand.The finger nails where burnt brown and blisters came up under the nails. My eyebrows where gone and I had flash burns on all uncovered skin on the side of my body that was facing it. It ruined my prescription glasses by imbedding melted metal in the lenses and turning them grey. I was complaining about my glasses to the ER Dr and he said if I had not had them on I probably would have lost my sight. Oh yea word of wisdom if this happens to you go to the ER first not the urgent care as the urgent care doesn't stock pain meds. It was the worst pain of my life and I would wish it on no one. Please respect it, I lost my respect for it and paid a very heavy price.

• Like 3

Do NOT poke the bear.

Sorry Picasso. But hope they listen, right? all we can do.

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

Do NOT poke the bear.

Sorry Picasso. But hope they listen, right? all we can do.

Thats about it. They will only make the mistake once I assure you. The pain will make sure of that.

• Like 1

The problem with flash is that a 5 gram mistake will hurt or damage maybe take a finger off.

5? Hell a half a gram is gonna hurt depending on the situation.

Maybe this thread should go away. Don’t want any one poking the bear to try and prove anything.