APC Forum

Question about putting flash powder in an oven, and endplugs.

DoodieSmoothie

So, i've been trying to make small flash powder "ground salutes", but for most of my 0,4mm thick tubes (diameter is about 3/4 inch, length about 4 inch), the hotglue and paper endplugs don't seem to hold it, so i'm trying to use a lot of dextrin+fluor glue now, and this usually takes ages to dry. I have around 10 pieces in the oven now for drying the bottom endplug, but when i come to the last step to seal the top, is it safe that i put KNO3+MG in the oven on around 80 degress celcius? It will be disaster if they all explode at once. Then i don't have an oven or top stove anymore... And probably not a kitchen either.

And, are actually endplugs necessary? Are the endplugs only used to hold the powder inside it, and not to create pressure? What i mean is, can i just use tape as endplugs and have the same results? If so, then i'm using too thick paper for the flash powder i use... I'm using kraft paper and they are hella solid.

Edited by DoodieSmoothie
  • Like 1

Okay, nevermind. This was one of the most retarded thing i've done I think i just wasted 10 good tubes... I put them on 100 degrees, and the wet dextrin mixture created a bunch of air bubbles, and it was kinda "boiling" so much the dextrin climbed all the way to the top of the tube and fell over. Now there's dextrin spread across the whole tube on the ones that fell over, 7 of them seemed unaffected. I didn't know what i should do, if i should just cancel it and try to squeeze out all the gunk (dextrin is a mess to deal with) from the tube, or just try to finish it and hope it works.

So i took a long string and tied them up. Haha, i must say i have no idea what i'm doing. But i now learned that i should never ever heat dextrin to dry it, and it's really bad to use it as end plugs too because you need wait at least a week for them to completely dry.

Some parts of fireworking really does need the time it takes and glue drying is on that list. It's perfectly possible to make cases months in advance and use them when required.

If all you're interested in is salutes, this isn't the forum for you.

This may clear itself up given his stated interests. :blink:

Just hope he is no where near me or my family members.

If all you're interested in is salutes, this isn't the forum for you.

:((( Do you want me to leave and find another forum then? And yes, i'm all here because of big booms from ground salutes.

Salutes, while a component used in legitimitate pyrotechnics, are just that, a component. They also tend to give the biggest black eye to the hobby due to careless users and people using them for destructive purposes. They're unfortunately easy to make, and unfortunately unforgiving to mistakes. To this point, they tend to be rather frowned upon, especially ground salutes. We already have an uphill battle to demonstrate we have a vested interest in safety, artistry, and are not just bomb makers or terrorists.

I think most of us will agree that we appreciate them now and then. When people come here, and it is their obvious and sole interest it raises some red flags. They tend not to care about the hobby and tend not really be all that interested in learning. You probably aren't going to get a lot of help here. Given your posts and that you already rubbed enough people the wrong way to get banned from the Discord in a short period of time, I don't have a whole lot of faith in your intentions and abilities to not do harm to yourself, others, or property.

• Like 3

Yeah, uh, don't put flash in your oven. Actually, don't do anything doodie does unless you enjoy failure and injury.
  • Like 1

• 10 months later...

So, i've been trying to make small flash powder "ground salutes", but for most of my 0,4mm thick tubes (diameter is about 3/4 inch, length about 4 inch), the hotglue and paper endplugs don't seem to hold it, so i'm trying to use a lot of dextrin+fluor glue now, and this usually takes ages to dry. I have around 10 pieces in the oven now for drying the bottom endplug, but when i come to the last step to seal the top, is it safe that i put KNO3+MG in the oven on around 80 degress celcius? It will be disaster if they all explode at once. Then i don't have an oven or top stove anymore... And probably not a kitchen either.

And, are actually endplugs necessary? Are the endplugs only used to hold the powder inside it, and not to create pressure? What i mean is, can i just use tape as endplugs and have the same results? If so, then i'm using too thick paper for the flash powder i use... I'm using kraft paper and they are hella solid.

Bruh

Bruh

What the hell does "Bruh" mean and how is it of any interest to everybody else (anybody else?) in this public forum? Send a PM (if the idiot's account isn't deleted) and swap bullshit together elsewhere. Wtf was the meaning of that post, which everybody will have to filter past to get to the next ones in this thread when they exist?

Really? What interest was that "Bruh" response to everybody else on this forum, and what exactly is it supposed to mean?

Edited by SharkWhisperer

What the hell does "Bruh" mean and how is it of any interest to everybody else (anybody else?) in this public forum? Send a PM (if the idiot's account isn't deleted) and swap bullshit together elsewhere. Wtf was the meaning of that post, which everybody will have to filter past to get to the next ones in this thread when they exist?

Really? What interest was that "Bruh" response to everybody else on this forum, and what exactly is it supposed to mean?

Oh its supposed to mean like a face palm or something said as a reaction to something stupid. I saw this thread and my reaction was basically a facepalm to his question. Dude why are you so sensitive. Geez if you want to know just look it up. https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Bruh

The second definition is the one I used. The term "bruh" is used where I am from. Its not a big deal, if somebody sees it, it takes 0.5 seconds to continue on.

here's an example - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1abZwubUONI

Edited by yardarmwheeze
  • Like 2

Oh its supposed to mean like a face palm or something said as a reaction to something stupid. I saw this thread and my reaction was basically a facepalm to his question. Dude why are you so sensitive. Geez if you want to know just look it up. https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Bruh

The second definition is the one I used. The term "bruh" is used where I am from. Its not a big deal, if somebody sees it, it takes 0.5 seconds to continue on.

here's an example - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1abZwubUONI

Yeah, I got the gist of it without needing Urban Dictionary. But half of the forum overseas probably did not. A waste post. Please try to minimize those.

Yeah, I got the gist of it without needing Urban Dictionary. But half of the forum overseas probably did not. A waste post. Please try to minimize those.

Ok I will keep that in mind

• 2 weeks later...

you ever try fiberglass resin? Sometimes i use it if i need a strong bond and want it fast. I bought a gallon a long time ago and a tube of hardener,just mix up some in a cup and pour the end plug full. Wait 20 minutes and you have a rock hard bond better than any endplug or wooden disk. You can even trace a tube on a pizza box,cut it out with scissors and use a dowel rod or rammer to push it tightly into place near the end of the tube and pour your resin on top.

you ever try fiberglass resin? Sometimes i use it if i need a strong bond and want it fast. I bought a gallon a long time ago and a tube of hardener,just mix up some in a cup and pour the end plug full. Wait 20 minutes and you have a rock hard bond better than any endplug or wooden disk.

And a bullet that would easily be fatal. You can seal them up with a rolling paper for God’s sake.

I don’t know why I feel compelled to reply to these threads. Well, yes I do. Innocents in the area.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Salutes, while a component used in legitimitate pyrotechnics, are just that, a component. They also tend to give the biggest black eye to the hobby due to careless users and people using them for destructive purposes. They're unfortunately easy to make, and unfortunately unforgiving to mistakes. To this point, they tend to be rather frowned upon, especially ground salutes. We already have an uphill battle to demonstrate we have a vested interest in safety, artistry, and are not just bomb makers or terrorists.

I think most of us will agree that we appreciate them now and then. When people come here, and it is their obvious and sole interest it raises some red flags. They tend not to care about the hobby and tend not really be all that interested in learning. You probably aren't going to get a lot of help here. Given your posts and that you already rubbed enough people the wrong way to get banned from the Discord in a short period of time, I don't have a whole lot of faith in your intentions and abilities to not do harm to yourself, others, or property.

I second this. Learning the artistry of fireworks is what this forum is for, not to learn how to make things go boom. Too fine of a line in this hobby to condone such acts.

And a bullet that would easily be fatal. You can seal them up with a rolling paper for God’s sake.

I don’t know why I feel compelled to reply to these threads. Well, yes I do. Innocents in the area.

Alone, unanchored, I entirely agree--it's a thick hockey puck waiting to be a projectile. But if subsequently screwed in, preferably with crossbolts that transverse the diameter of the resin puck, I don't really see the issue regarding durability or reliability. Alone? It's an unanchored sabot going backwards. But if appropriately anchored, why would you consider it better than wood discs or otherwise?

Alone, unanchored, I entirely agree--it's a thick hockey puck waiting to be a projectile. But if subsequently screwed in, preferably with crossbolts that transverse the diameter of the resin puck, I don't really see the issue regarding durability or reliability. Alone? It's an unanchored sabot going backwards. But if appropriately anchored, why would you consider it better than wood discs or otherwise?

The original post was referring to end plugs for ground salutes, hence the safety concern.

The original post was referring to end plugs for ground salutes, hence the safety concern.

Ooh, not mortar tubes but ground salutes. My oversight. Epoxy end plugs bad. Bentonite end plugs bad. Bullets Paper/cardboard endcaps only.

I don't build giant ground salutes and then stand next to them as they go off. In fact i don't build them at all everything i make is set off in the sky over a lake so frankly i'm not worried about shrapnel from anything. Secondly IF i built some kind of monstrous ground salute,i sure as hell are not gonna be ANYWHERE near it when it was set off...Why would anyone do that? Do you think i light 3lb strobes with 4inch fuse from 50ft away? NO I am sorry for how i answered his question but I assumed common sense was at play,i should have read the question more carefully.

• 1 month later...
Please don't put salutes in the oven. I have heard of people igniting they're flash with a 60 watt light bulb from several feet away

• 4 weeks later...

I was a bit sleepy today and at first glance i thought it asked if you needed earplugs to put flash powder in the oven.LMAO

I was a bit sleepy today and at first glance i thought it asked if you needed earplugs to put flash powder in the oven.LMAO

Earplugs are definitely recommended if you put flash in the oven.

• 3 weeks later...

Guys, it moves me to ask: why spend so much time and thought telling someone "If you have nothing to do, go do it elsewhere"?