APC Forum

Safe procedures involving homemade NC lacquer

M80

Just wondering some of your guys recommended do's and don'ts when making, storing and handling NC lacquer made from smokeless and acetone. Thanks in advance

I wouldn't recommend storing NC lacquer at all. Just make it right when you need it.

Edited by Squke

Also I tend to use it for ematches (I dont attach until ready to fire) would it be inadvisable to store even in that small of an amount

Also I tend to use it for ematches (I dont attach until ready to fire) would it be inadvisable to store even in that small of an amount

I've stored NC lacquer for over a year with no loss in activity and no risks beyond having a flammable liquid about. Sheesh. It's acetone (fingernail polish remover; flammable) and NC/NG, also flammable. The only negatives I could ever imagine are: 1) impurities/additional burn regulators and stabilizers in smokeless might precipitate out in extended storage--ok, give it a shake....gone; or 2) Acetone absorbs water over lengthy storage times, but cannot imagine how this would become a crisis (wetting Mg, for example) unless you had some super specialized applications, which most do not.

NC lacquer for guitar finishing is good for years if stored airtight. Absolutely no reason why smokeless/acetone NC lacquer would behave any differently.

The stuff's flammable. Not any more dangerous to use or to store than any other flammable liquid.

"Make only as much as you're going to use right away"?

Horseshit. Think.

And handling: Let me ask you this: does your girlfriend wear a respirator when she's painting (sometimes NC lacquer) or removing (generally pure acetone) her fingernail polish? No. Then again, maybe that's what's made her so cray-cray over the years...hmmm. In large quantities, yes, acetone vapors could become a concern. Your shop has ventilation, no? If concerned, wear a respirator rated for VOCs (volatile organic compounds)--it'll catch any stray acetone vapors. Generally unnecessary (ask your girlfriend) unless you're bathing in the stuff or using a pint to make crackle!

Edited by SharkWhisperer
  • Like 1

Likely the bottle isn't sealed well enough to keep the acetone in for years!

NC doesn't really dissolve it softens a lot! Usually it achieves a stable viscosity after a day or so.

The biggest issues when storing nc lacquer are sun light and evaporation. Use good quality NC and it can be stored for a while. Smokeless powder is usually a good source.

Watch out for it turning more yellow or orange and any nitrogen oxide fumes.

Nitroglycerin in double base powder can be absorbed through the skin. That could give you a bad headache.

True, that's where the gloves come in. And the not smearing it all over your face part. And the not licking your fingers part.

If you apply all standard COVID-19 self-protection criteria to handling NC lacquer, then you should have years of firey enjoyment together!