APC Forum

Red hand flare less stable combustion

pyrodivision

Hello everyone

Can i make bright red flare use, strontium nitrate, magnesium, pvc?? i just tried with composition

Strontium nitrate 58

Magnesium 27 (80mesh)

Pvc 15

And i coated magnesium with linseed oil,

for result, the colour is bright but too much spark, it will be dangerous for hand held,

and combustion is less stable, in the midst of combustion occurs bursts like larvae,

I used an 18mm paper tube with 4mm paper thickness

And press use manual press, dry mix not use binder

Plesae give me best solution

Thanks

First of all, why do you post the same subject in different threads???

Anyway, if your composition emits sparks and slag usually the strontium nitrate is not milled enough and/or the magnesium is too course.

How much oil was added? It is usually enough with 1 % of the weight of the magnesium powder.

In high temperature compositions like this chlorinated rubber sometimes burns better than PVC, sometimes it is efficient to use 50/50.

Also, a secondary fuel can be beneficial. Try a few percent of charcoal, wood dust, sulfur or whatever you have at hand as long as it is compatible with the other ingredients.

sorry iam newbie in this forum,

Is linseed oil mixed with aceton?

To make the procces coating mg easier?

Ok, i will try to add some charcoal,

Thanks

No, linseed oil is very easily dispersed in magnesium powder. Just mix until evenly distributed and spread out in thin layers to dry. The coated magnesium will clump together so it must be sieved later or mixed with the PVC and/or pergut before the linseed oil has cured.

The linseed oil should be of the boiled type.