Welllll.....I got a mixed bag on that.
So, the altimeter wasn't working on that flight. #&^@! I loaded another motor and shot it the next day. I received a parachute release device (Jolly Logic, also, like the altimeter) later the day of flight 1 and used it in flight 2. Between the heavier ejection load with the parachute release and maybe my stiff paper towel homemade wadding (paper and baking soda and water...King of Random (and others) have info on YoutTube), the parachute didn't eject. I have a video of that but only of it going up. I used that wadding on flight 1 but...variables and more mass to eject...no poofy. I'll post that sometime, too.
The rocket took off more slowly than the first day. That may be because I added that parachute release device and it weighs an appreciable amount or it may be it was just as fast but didn't seem like it to me, or who knows? Maybe my motors are not consistent. They should be, I use a hydraulic press with pressure gauge and it was the exact same batch/tub of powder. But, I did get data on that flight. I got a replacement screen for the AltimeterTwo yesterday and put it on and have that data now.
Max altitude: 739 feet
Max speed: 137 mph
Thrust duration: 3.34 sec
Peak accel: 15.2g
Avg accel: 1.9g
Coast to appog: 4.3s
This is the kicker.....
Descent speed: 62mph
Duration: 15.9 sec
The AltimiterTwo does not report the G force at the end.
The fall didn't kill it but that sudden stop at the end did a helluva number on it. Broke the LCD on the AltimeterTwo, smashed the nose cone (NC), ruined the body tube, ripped the motor/motor mount tube from the motor mounts and put it hard on top of the altimeter and the parachute device (and the parachute). I had thought, when I first walked up on it, that the EC (ejection charge) had forced the motor mount tube and motor out the back instead of ejecting the parachute. Nope, it was all intact until a significant decel G load strategically re-located the motor mount tube/motor into the nose cone. That sure solves my CG/CP balance. Put the NC fully into soft-ish dirt.
The EC did ignite, the front clay plug/cap was blown out as it should be. I had 1/4 tsp (which measures out, as I recall, not being in front of my notes, to 1 gram) of 20-30 mesh BP, like the first one for the EC. I suspect, as stated earlier, the stiff wadding (I used good paper towel to make my home made wadding...it's thick and fluffy) and the added restriction of the parachute release device kept the stuff from kicking out like it was supposed to.
Sucks, but I bought three of those same models for a reason...this is the reason. Failure was expected in the process. Of course, I thought after the first flight I had avoided it. I was wrong.
This isn't hurting my feelings one bit. I got it to fly right once, the failure in this flight was not my motor. I'm building another of the kits with my son now. And we'll paint this one, too. We'll get it sorted.
Video of the crash is non-existent: I had a knock-off GoPro sitting at the launch pad, looking up. I got the rocket going up, smoke trail, then nothing. I couldn't see the rocket on the way down. I didn't even carry the camera to where the thing hit, so I have no images/footage there. I'll post it. I had FITS with my home made igniters and wound up using a piece of visco. It's okay, relax, it's NAR-certified rocket-launch visco.
Video is uploading now. I didn't grab the URL for the video when it popped on screen in the upload process so I'll have to update this later. It's on the same page/channel whatever as the one posted earlier in this thread. I may re-do the video in terms of adding some pictures of the damaged rocket but I don't know what good that will do; it's damaged, not much value in seeing it.
Hey man, that is a learning experience, definitely not a "failure". Your motor burn time and max altitude significantly exceed any Estes C motor expectations with that specific rocket, even with all the added weight. Sounds like a success to me.
"NAR-certified rocket-lauch visco", bwaaaah hahh ha ha ha!!!!! Love it. Gonna give the NAR/Tripoli purists some sleepless nights. For sure don't mention homemade igniters with....my gawd....hot pyrogen. That'll get 'em calling in sick for a week.
Never trusted or needed those "chute releases" and they're kinda expensive, too...