The goal is to make a functional dragon egg formula using the least expensive chems. Bismuth trioxide being the most costly of the chems followed by N/C. These chems arent prohibitively costly but over the coarse of time or as batches get larger it will add up. The formula I have settled on eliminates both of these chems.
66: black copper oxide, 30 (200-325) mesh MgAl, 4 dextrin.
I found it necessary to prime them with a strobe igniter prime (Bleser #28 strobe igniter prime) followed by a thin layer of BP to ensure it all takes fire immediately. The prime was applied in a star roller with plain water in a spritzing bottle.
The eggs theirselves were made by adding a 1% dichromate solution of water to the comp until the concentration reached 10% of the comps weight. The moisture was distributed throughout the comp evenly then tamped down in the mixing bowl to make a consolidated puck. It was granulated twice thru a 8 mesh screen and loaded into the star roller. The comp was allowed to spin for 5 minutes until the grains rounded off and formed small stars. I sifted the stars thru the 8 mesh screen to locate the larger stars, they got regranulated once again and loaded back into the roller with all the others. Once I was satisfied all the stars were round and would pass an 8 mesh, I started rolling the prime.
Drying the stars only took a few hours in the heated drying box. A few stars still showed signs of moisture at the time of testing so I'd recommend additional time in the drier if you have it.
I included this detailed record because I've only made this one batch. If someone else has different results then we can come back to this post to review any differences in the process.
Edited by NeighborJ, 13 February 2020 - 11:40 AM.