APC Forum

Strobe of Mg

Piromur

I have very nice strobe of magnesium but me questions is possible change magnesium by magnalium.

Here me formula of red strobe:

Guanidine nitrate ... 39.60

Magnesium 100My ... 23.80

Strontium sulfate ...15.90

Parlon ...9.15

Potasium nitrate ... 2.40

Nitrocellulose ... 9.15

At with acetone

I see no reason why it couldn't be substituted. I'm curious why the formula uses so much N/C? I don't think I've ever seen a strobe formula using 10% N/C by weight.

Agree with our Neighbor--that is a TON of NC, and getting it all into the mixture using a 10% NC lacquer solution must take miserably long for the acetone solvent to "finally" dry out enough to work the mixture...I would go nuts waiting and stirring and waiting and stirring. It would use a lot of acetone, too. Hell, getting the NC up to 5% in my Dragon Eggs is a chore, but double that quantity???

I, too, cannot comprehend why that much NC is needed. Does it constitute an essential component of the slow/smouldering phase in strobing??? Weird.

Please detail your manufacture process that allows you to get that much NC into your formula without using dried NC powder.

Thanks

There's no doubt that the N/C works great to help stabilize the competing oxidizer reaction and it also creates nitrogen gas which helps to clean up the on/off cycle. Im merely suggesting that the amount can be lowered considerably or much of it could be replaced with a fuel like PVC. This could also help to achieve a richer color.

There's no doubt that the N/C works great to help stabilize the competing oxidizer reaction and it also creates nitrogen gas which helps to clean up the on/off cycle. Im merely suggesting that the amount can be lowered considerably or much of it could be replaced with a fuel like PVC. This could also help to achieve a richer color.

Or just up the parlon % instead of adding in PVC???

PVC has a much better track record when used with strobes, too much parlon smooths out the burn too much. Edited by NeighborJ

Then what about nixing the parlon entirely and just going with PVC; is there a function that parlon is performing that cannot be duplicated with PVC? Thinking in terms of simplifying the formula, if unnecessarily complicated.

I'd like to see it in action before assuming something needs changed.

I have very nice strobe of magnesium but me questions is possible change magnesium by magnalium.

Here me formula of red strobe:

Guanidine nitrate ... 39.60

Magnesium 100My ... 23.80

Strontium sulfate ...15.90

Parlon ...9.15

Potasium nitrate ... 2.40

Nitrocellulose ... 9.15

At with acetone

Back on topic: Can he change out the Mg for MgAl?

No danger in trying it out.

What does "100My" mean regarding your magnesium? 100 mesh or average of 100 micron particle size? If microns, please either state "microns" or "um" if you can't cut/paste the Greek mu ("µ") for the usual µm abbreviation. (is there a way to select special characters in the options above?).

Back on topic: Can he change out the Mg for MgAl?

No danger in trying it out.

What does "100My" mean regarding your magnesium? 100 mesh or average of 100 micron particle size? If microns, please either state "microns" or "um" if you can't cut/paste the Greek mu ("µ") for the usual µm abbreviation. (is there a way to select special characters in the options above?).

To get the micron symbol on your computer press Alt and type 230. µ.

n relation to the use of nitrocellulose, I have access to nitrocellulose treated with isopropyl alcohol as a pyrotechnic.
The composition produces stable flashes. Now I am in season to prepare the whole theme of FALLAS. I will be able to test this effect shortly.